Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Simple DHCP question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Simple DHCP question

Posted Apr 01, 2016 11:48 AM

I'm trying to set up DHCP in my Aruba IAP-205, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I'm not a networking expert by any means, but this seems difficult.

All I want to do, is for one SSID, hand out IPs on the same range the AP itself is on. I've created a Distributed DHCP scope because I think thats what I need to do. It's the only spot that lets me assign a range of IPs. I'm not sure what Clients Per Branch means...What's a branch? Like a separate phyiscal location? I set it to 1. I have a range of 10 IP's, but if I say 10 clients I get an error saying the range is too small.

Anyways, I set up the scope, assigned that scope to the Network, but my clients are just get 169 IPs.

Any help would be greately appreciated. I am literally trying to do just a very basic networking task, that I've accomplished in hundreds of home routers, but can't for the life of me figure out in this Aruba IAP.

• 2.  RE: Simple DHCP question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2016 01:26 PM

Hi, 

Is this a IAP VPN deployment with VPN back to a controller? Or is this just a single IAP deployment? 

• 3.  RE: Simple DHCP question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 01, 2016 01:48 PM
    I think that on the second page of setting up the ssid you need to select network assign as client ip addressing and vlan default not custom and you are good to go!!!

• 4.  RE: Simple DHCP question

Posted Apr 05, 2016 06:01 PM

Take a look at this topic and see if it helps.

• 5.  RE: Simple DHCP question

Posted Apr 13, 2016 02:50 PM

I've looked at that topic, but when I try to create the DHCP range it won't allow me to set the range, because it's the same subnet as the Aruba's IPs.

So what I want to do, is put the Arubas on my network, say 192.168.1.X, and I want them to hand out addresses from 192.168.1.100 - 150. Can I do that? For reasons I don't want to get in to, I can't make my router do this, so I want the Aruba's DHCP server to handle this.

• 6.  RE: Simple DHCP question

Posted May 15, 2016 01:13 PM
    Hi,

You do not need to create DHCP scope on IAP if you want your client to get ip in same range as AP.

In ssid configuration, set the vlan as default.

• 7.  RE: Simple DHCP question

Posted May 15, 2016 01:25 PM
    What I want is for the Aruba to be the DHCP and hand out IPs from a range on that same subnet that I specified. For reasons I won't go in to, my router DHCP is not functional. Can the Aruba be a DHCP server like this?

• 8.  RE: Simple DHCP question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2016 01:32 PM

• 9.  RE: Simple DHCP question

Posted May 15, 2016 05:34 PM
    Actually IAP can do this if the following are observed:

1. There is no other DHCP server on the management subnet.

2. The IAP's own IP is statically assigned.

If this is true then you can create a DHCP scope of Local,L2 type on the same subnet as IAP itself with a custom address range.

• 10.  RE: Simple DHCP question

Posted May 16, 2016 12:35 PM

Hi Yan,

Yes, we can use IAP as DHCP server.

Please configure Local DHCP as per your requirement instead of centralized / Distributed.

In SSID profile, under Vlan, use Network assigned -> Static -> use the Vlan that was mentioned while configuring DHCP local pool.

Regards,

Karthikeyan Mookkandi