Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 16, 2015 10:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am currently running a cluster of IAP-205's with OS version 6.4.3.1-4.2.0.2_52056. I have Airplay working flawlessly using Airgroup but have not been so lucky with the Sonos HIFI system. System works intermittently at best, right now I can't even get the system to recognize the controllers. I have tried multiple setups including a wired sonos bridge and connecting the system to the network via a direct wifi link. If I plug my computer into a wired port I can instantly see the Sonos system. Does anyone have any advice? It does not look like Airgroup is blocking any of the request. Also can anyone advice on the individual settings for each SSID? I currently have broadcast filtering disabled, DTIM interval: 1 Beacon, Multicast transmission optimization Disabled, Dynamic multicast optimization enabled, and DMO channel utilization threshold 90%. I don't currently know what else to check... Has anyone had any better luck?

Thanks,
    David  

AirGroup Blocked Service IDs
    ----------------------------
    Origin Service ID #response-hits
    ------ ---------- --------------
    Num Blocked Service-ID:0
    Upstairs205# show airgroup blocked-queries

AirGroup dropped Query IDs
    --------------------------
    Service ID #query-hits
    ---------- -----------
    urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:InternetGatewayDevice:1 218
    UPnP:rootdevice 1
    4b51056a._sub._apple-mobdev2._tcp 23
    uuid:RINCON_000E58F8E88E01400 8
    uuid:RINCON_000E585A20FC01400 8
    uuid:73656761-7465-7375-636b-0090a94415ad 8
    uuid:55076f6e-6b79-4d65-6436-0090a94415ad 8
    uuid:0e016f08-51a5-408c-a108-5916a5d23e5a 8
    Num dropped Query IDs:8

• 2.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2015 10:54 PM

Is the Sonos listed as a connected client in the Instant VC?

• 3.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 17, 2015 11:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, 

When I have the system setup to connected to the WIFI network (vs. the Ethernet Bridge) all units show up. I have since reset the system and am using the Ethernet bridge as I have had the most luck with that configuration. Currently both speakers are showing up in Air-Group… Does anyone have any input on the Broadcast filtering settings? I switched the setting over to ALL from off and was able to see the speaker cluster on one client.

David 

• 4.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2015 12:19 PM

What ethernet bridge?  Do you mean the second port on the access point?

• 5.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 17, 2015 12:35 PM

So the Sonos speakers create their own proprietary mesh network that is how they communicate. For devices to control them they must connect to the network by two methods. 1) Connection directly to a wifi access point or B) a "SonosNet" to Ethernet bridge. I have included a link below... In this configuration the all wirless clients with the sonos app communicate with the speakers via the ethernet bridge on the wired side (speakers are not connected to the wifi network).  So multicast traffic goes from Iphone (Connected to Aruba IAP Cluster) -> ethernet  -> Sonos ethernet bridge -> "SonosNet" and communicates with each speaker. I can see all the sonos speakers when connected to an ethernet port, not problem, however I am getting intermediate problems when connected to the wireless. 

http://www.sonos.com/shop/bridge?r=1

• 6.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2015 03:05 PM

If they are working wired via the bridge that is good.  That means that only user traffic is being restricted by the IAP.  If they are not working wireless, make sure that your policy for the Sonos devices that connect is unrestricted.  You should also use no broadcast filtering and turn Airgroup off, to give it a chance to work.  Most people use Sonos with a single device wired (the bridge) and allow the other devices talk to others wirelessly, and it is easier that way, since they already connecting via wireless.

• 7.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 17, 2015 03:10 PM

Colin Thanks for the follow up,

Just to be clear I need to turn broadcast filtering off and Airgroup off. Can you elaborate a bit on the "Sonos" policy? 

Thanks,

David 

• 8.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2015 04:00 PM

There is no built-in Sonos policy.

Airgroup only needs to be enabled when:

- Broadcast filtering is on or:

- Clients are not on the same subnet as the device they are trying to reach.

To narrow down what is causing you problems, you need to (1) make sure clients are on the same subnet as the device they are trying to reach(2) ensure that there is not traffic blocking your clients and your device

(3) Turn Airgroup off to ensure that partial services are not being rendered and break something.

If you want to turn on Broadcast filtering, you would need to (1) Turn on Airgroup (2) Try to discover a device using a client (3) Type "show airgroup blocked-service-id" so that you can see what needs to be added to a new policy to allow your client to device communication.  You would then build a new Airgroup Service and add the blocked service ids to that service to allow client to device communication when Airgroup is on.

I hope that makes sense.

• 9.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 17, 2015 04:04 PM

Colin,

This does make sense, wanted to make sure I did not need to add a rule on the IAP access control list. I will give this configuration a try and report back, thanks!

• 10.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2015 04:07 PM

So, when testing, you should have all your devices using unrestricted or allow all rules.  Using Airgroup will not work if the ports needed to communicate from client to device are blocked....  You might be able to figure out later what ports are necessary and tighten it down from there...

• 11.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 17, 2015 04:07 PM

Also just to be clear, should dynamic multicast optimization be enabled? 

David 

• 12.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2015 04:09 PM

Not needed.  You should leave it off for now...

• 13.  RE: Sonos non-functional with Instant Cluster

Posted Nov 18, 2015 11:33 AM

So turning Airgroup off in combination with broadcast filtering seems to have done the trick! Thanks for the help everyone!