Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

Hi all,

I've set up a basic guest WLAN using most of the default settings, including setting "Client IP assignment" to "Virtual Controller managed".  This set up a separate IP range, 172.31.99.0/23.

Unfortunatley, this hands out the IP address of our internal DNS, which is on an IP range to which this guest network is denied access.

As the 172.31.99.0/23 range isn't defined anywhere in the VC's DHCP, I can't seem to find where I can edit this.

How can I make a VC-managed IP assignment for a guest network hand out only the DNS address I specify?

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Specify my own DNS for guest WLAN?

dhcp.jpgThen setup the scope details, including DNS...

Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216 | AMFX #11
---------------------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Occasional Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for that - though that appears to be VLAN related - all I want is to change the DNS server that the VC hands out.

As it looks like the VC is doing some NATing here, I'm concerned that setting up my own DHCP scope will break this.

How can I keep the VC managing DHCP and doing its own NAT, but also use external DNS?

The DNS addresses given out by default are the ones that are configured on the APs, or issues to the APs via DHCP. SO, you could just change the DNS servers that are issued by your DHCP scope for these APs.

Obviously I don't know how your network is configured so doing so might not be the best idea!

Without doing the above, I'm not sure if you can just change the DNS server addresses given out without configuring the rest of the scope as previously mentioned.

Cheers
James

-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216 | AMFX #11
---------------------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Occasional Contributor I

Given nothing on the APs needs to reference any internal DNS, I've made this change and it's working - thanks!

Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense that you can't just edit the default scope, but this will do!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: