Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Split IAP Cluster

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Split IAP Cluster

Posted Mar 07, 2013 08:18 AM

Hello

I'm thinking on split a IAP cluster, my idea will be to provide a new configuration to the Virtual AP Controller where I will remove the allowed-new-aps an cut out some of the

allowed-ap 24:de:c6:c0:10:xx

Will this work? I will then see two virtual controllers?

Regards

• 2.  RE: Split IAP Cluster

Posted Mar 07, 2013 09:29 AM

To have two VCs, each managing member APs, they must be in separate Vlans.  You should be able to simply disconnect one AP from your current group and move it into a defferent Vlan.  It will see that there are no VCs in the new subnet and will elect itself to be the VC.

Some users prefer to set the AP they will move back to factory default, using the reset button on the back of the AP, and reconfiguring it with a clean config in the new Vlan.

• 3.  RE: Split IAP Cluster

Posted Mar 07, 2013 10:34 AM

In this situation i will like to keep the APs on the same VLAN, so this will not apply, also I think I missed a point, I should also change the Virtual Controller IP so they won't collyde.

• 4.  RE: Split IAP Cluster

Posted Mar 07, 2013 10:47 AM

You cannot have two VCs managing their own APs in the same Vlan.  Our discovery protocol is L2 so all IAPs within the same Vlan will find the current VC.

You can set one AP to run in "Standalone" mode and it will act as a VC for itself only -- it will not be able to manage other IAPs.

Can you describe what it is you are trying to achieve?

• 5.  RE: Split IAP Cluster

Posted Mar 07, 2013 12:25 PM

The question it's that I would like to have two IAP cluster on the same network because the costumer it's using a cheap router, and it does not support VLANs.

Because I'm too lazy and would like to avoid a travel to the costumer site I would like to try to split the cluster using the Airwave. The idea its to load on the master a configuration removing half of the IAPs,  removing the autojoin feature and changing the Virtual Controller AP. If all work as supposed I should get the two clusters separated each one with their Virtual Controller IP and IAPs splited between them.

Regards

• 6.  RE: Split IAP Cluster

Posted Mar 07, 2013 12:31 PM

That is not supported.

With so few APs why do you want to split the cluster within the same network?