Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Trouble with 205's dropping out

I am new to Aruba so some of this maybe easy. I have a small wifi network configuration setup, but it is giving me big headaches. There is a 205H and a 205 on the system. The 205 has been acting erratically. I noticed looking at the system through inssider that there were three MAC addresses being broadcast. Two for the 205H, one for each spectrum, but only one for the 205 which was handling both spectrum's is this normal? To me it looked as though it was continously switching back and forth. The second issue is that when I have the two AP's running all of the client's attach themselves to the 205H, even though the 205 is much closer. The final issue I am having is that both AP's drop off the network at different times. Is there an issue with having these two types of AP's on the same system?

Re: Trouble with 205's dropping out

How many SSIDs are you broadcasting?

Are these IAPs part of a Cluster ?

What's the current Min/Max power(EIRP) under the RF settings set to ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

I am only broadcasting one SSID.

They are the only two IAP's on the system.

Min is set to 18

Max is set to Max

Guru Elite

Do you have both wired and wireless clients on the same VLAN?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Yes they are on the same VLAN

Guru Elite

Okay:

Edit your WLAN and under Advanced, Turn Broadcast filtering to ARP.  That will drop wasteful and performance impacting broadcasts that wired clients emanate as well as do proxy ARP for your wireless clients:

iap-broadcast-filter-arp.png

Next, Change your ARM minimum transmit to 12 and Max Transmit to 18 to prevent Sticky clients from holding on to access points when they are out of range.  This will improve performance by putting a client nearest to the AP it should be on.

If you have 4 APs or more, you should make sure that 80mhz support is set to disabled.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

ARP is already set to on

I changed the Min and Max to 12 and 18

80mhz was already disabled

When I arrived onsite today both AP's were down

the 205H had red lights on the power and connection LED

the 205 was green on power, Amber on connection and nothing on broadcasting

Guru Elite

Let's take a step back:

Did this ever work?  When did it stop working and what happened?

Colin Joseph

I can not say it has ever worked consistently. I have been able to get the network working appropriatly but then the customer would call a few hours later and say his signal strength was down to two bars, that could have been from his computer latching on to the 205H which is across the house and not the closer 205. The bigger issue is why the AP's drop off completely.

Guru Elite

Try to SSH into both access points and get the tech support.  SSH in and type "show tech-support".  That is very wide-ranging and would give you and idea about what is happening with the AP and is a good place to start if you don't have a clue what is going on.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: