Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

This thread has been viewed 69 times
  • 1.  Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 10:43 AM

Hello everybody, hope everyones finished their christmas shopping,

We have an IAP cluster with 3 IAP105s and 1 IAP114, I need to update the firmware to add some IAP205s we plan on purchasing,

When i click the check for new version, it says no response from server,

I would like to do a manual update, I already have the firmwares i want to upload, but am not sure how to do this, i know when its a cluster of similar models, i could upload a firmware image easily,

I see there are two fields for URLs to do upgrades, are these something i need to setup on our local network, or are there URLs i can point it to in the cloud to upgrade them,

• 2.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 11:18 AM

What you should do before you connect your IAP205s is upgrade your current cluster to support an IAP OS of 6.4.1.0 and up

2014-12-15 11_15_47-www.arubanetworks.com_pdf_products_DS_AP200Series.pdf.png

Then before connecting the 205s to the same VLAN/L2 Segment upgrade those manually to the same code as your 105s and 114s and finally add the 205s to the cluster

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_AP200Series.pdf 

• 3.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 12:38 PM

Hey Victor, thanks for your response,

I am unsure the process of upgrading our current 105\114 cluster, i see that there are some URL fields on the firmware tab, are there Aruba sites i can put in to update to the specific firmware i want?

• 4.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 01:17 PM

Do you have airwave ?

• 5.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 01:38 PM

We do not, only IAPs

• 6.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 01:57 PM
    What version are you running on your current cluster?

• 7.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 03:53 PM

Thanks so much for your help Victor,

Our current cluster is version 6.3.1.2-4.0.0.4_42384

Is there a reason that the Check for New Version says "Received no response from server"?

We have another cluster on a different VLAN that has 3 IAP105s and 1 IAP205 and it can pick up automatic upgrades just fine,

• 8.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2014 04:19 PM
    'No response from update server', could be either that that subnet cannot reach the internet, or it cannot resolve the address.

• 9.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 18, 2014 12:52 PM

ericw@4taconic.com wrote:

I am unsure the process of upgrading our current 105\114 cluster, i see that there are some URL fields on the firmware tab, are there Aruba sites i can put in to update to the specific firmware i want?

If you want to upgrade a mix-class IAP environment.

Here are the URLs you need in order to upgrade to the relevant firmware for that model.

http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/<firmware_name>

For example:

Download the firmware you want to upgrade to so you can copy/paste the filename If you want to upgrade to version 4.0.0.7 for Pegasus model APs (IAP-109)

http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ArubaInstant_Pegasus_6.3.1.8-4.0.0.7_44641
    Click on Maintenance -> Firmware and copy paste the URL above for IAP-109.

I just did a mixed-class environment for 205 and 215s and my upgrade URLs were

IAP-205
    http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ArubaInstant_Taurus_6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1_46936

IAP-215
    http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ArubaInstant_Centaurus_6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1_46936

• 10.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 18, 2014 01:04 PM

Thanks so much PM, this makes alot of sense,

I noticed that for the second field, it Says URL for  RAP108/109 where as we have an IAP114, but i see they use the same firmware, Thanks so much for this info,

Do you happen to know if Firmwares classified as early Availability are accessible with the URLs youve provided as well?

Specifically i am looking at 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028

Thanks again, i will definitely be using these URLs

• 11.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 18, 2014 01:07 PM
    Not too sure but you can always try and see

• 12.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 23, 2014 08:52 AM

It worked out great with the specific firmware i wanted, that i had mentioned previously, THanks soo much your solution worked great for me

• 13.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Jan 02, 2015 01:53 PM

@pmonardo wrote:

ericw@4taconic.com wrote:

If you want to upgrade a mix-class IAP environment.

Here are the URLs you need in order to upgrade to the relevant firmware for that model.

http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/<firmware_name>

For example:

Download the firmware you want to upgrade to so you can copy/paste the filename If you want to upgrade to version 4.0.0.7 for Pegasus model APs (IAP-109)

http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ArubaInstant_Pegasus_6.3.1.8-4.0.0.7_44641
    Click on Maintenance -> Firmware and copy paste the URL above for IAP-109.

I just did a mixed-class environment for 205 and 215s and my upgrade URLs were

IAP-205
    http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ArubaInstant_Taurus_6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1_46936

IAP-215
    http://images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ArubaInstant_Centaurus_6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1_46936

i have a couple of question :

•  if the customer do not have a support access can he upgrade the Firmware using this method ?!
    •  if i have different IAP models in the cluster , i i have to upgrade them separately ?!

Thanks

• 14.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Jan 07, 2015 08:36 AM
    I have never tried (without a support contract) but if he doesn't have a support contract he will not know the filename. So no, he most likely requires a support contract or you must wait until the image is available in the cloud

If you have different models, the webui of the IAP will ask you to input the path for each model

• 15.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted May 02, 2016 04:00 PM

Good evening all,

I have a similar query so thought it is better to post it here than creating a new thread. We have 3x103 IAPs, 2x115 IAPs and 15x205IAPs. We would like to add 3x325IAPs into the cluster. We have the three firmwares (early deployment release) already, Pegasus for 103 and 115, Taurus for 205s and Hercules for 325s. My queries are

1. Do I have to disconnect 205s before running the firmware upgrade on 105s and 115s? If yes, when I plug in/introduce 205s back on, will Aruba Instant prompt me to direct the upgrade path for 205s? Or do I have to unplug 103s and 115s and plug in 205s and run an upgrade?

2. What if virtual controller is on 205, disconnecting 205s would mean disconnecting virtual controller too when upgrading 103/115s? Do we have to make 115 as virtual controller and upgrade and then make 205 virtual controller before upgrade?

3. When you mentioned the server path image.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/ do I have to simply put the firmware file name or extension as well? 

Kindest regards

J.

• 16.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2016 08:14 PM

Please see here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Do-I-have-to-upgrade-all-the-IAPs-of-same-class-in-the-same/ta-p/178928

1.  No

2.  Please see #1

3.  It will download the firmware for the other class of devices from the internet at devices.arubanetworks.com

• 17.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted May 03, 2016 09:44 AM

Thanks Colin for a quick response. So in other words if I update our Virtual controller, all other devices in the cluster regardless of it being 103,115,205 or 325 (Pegasus, Taurus or Hercules), they'll get updated automatically from device.arubanetworks.com?

kindest regards

J.

• 18.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2016 11:23 AM

If you have internet access that allows it, yes.

Devices that are of the same class as the VC get the firmware from the VC.  Other devices are redirected to the cloud to get their firmware.

• 19.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted May 04, 2016 04:42 PM

Thank you so much for your help Colin, one more question if I may. Under Maintenance-->Firmware-->Manual it asks for a URL (http/Tftp/ftp), when I put machine IP address/filepath, it doesn't find it (I copied the firmware file on HDD of a Mac). I tried the above link images.arubanetworks.com/fwfiles/<file name Pegasus6.4.4.4-4.2.3.1-54637> but it didn't work either. There is no upload button on the Aruba Instant portal to upload the image directly from the Mac machine. Am I missing something here?

kindest regards 

J.

• 20.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2016 05:20 AM

You have to host your own tftp/ftp/http server to upload those files.

• 21.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Mar 16, 2019 12:25 PM
      |   view attached

Hi, the procedure is the following

tftp://x.x.x.x/ArubaInstant_Taurus_6.5.2.0_59123

tftp://x.x.x.x/ArubaInstant_Ursa_6.5.2.0_59123

x.x.x.x ---> Ip address PC TFTP

• 22.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted May 10, 2020 03:44 PM

Hi,

i have the problem that i have the iAP 204 running on 6.5.4.16

Now i want connect a RAP-155 Running on 6.4......

I see the IP but can´t connect to the RAP.

Must i shutdown all 204?

cu

• 23.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2020 08:03 PM

Yes, and then reboot the RAP-155.

Closing this thread because it is years old..  Please open a new thread.

• 24.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 01:55 PM

I would think you could update the firmware but leave the "box" unchecked where it says reboot after upgrade.  I would think you could do this to each model and then reboot the entire cluster after you have successfully updated the firmware on each model.  I haven't tried this and maybe someone from Aruba could indicate if this would work.

• 25.  RE: Updating Firmware on an IAP cluster with different models

Posted Dec 15, 2014 02:33 PM

Hey, as another thought possibly you could telnet into each AP and update manually using CLI.  I would think this may be an option if you only had a few different models cause you may not want to do this for too many.  Just another thought and maybe someone from Aruba could give some insight on this possiblity too.