Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

Posted Aug 22, 2013 10:55 AM

Hello, more N00b questions please.

For my lab/research, I need to test a RAP-2. At this time I don't have a mobility controller, only using instant. Is there a way to provision RAP-2 through instant?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

Posted Aug 22, 2013 01:06 PM

No, the RAP-2 does not support Instant capabilities.   A controller is required.

• 3.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

Posted Aug 22, 2013 01:33 PM

Thanks a lot Clembo.

Are there "software only" controler versions (virtualized for example) for labs or do I need to get a physical box? Any advice on the very small scale (handful of AP at most)?

Cheers

• 4.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2013 03:14 PM

no,unfortunately not.   there are branch office controllers (650; 620 being phased out), but it may not suit your lab budget needs.   Also, the 650 will run the latest code, but does not support some features; airgroup, appRF, IF-MAP, and AP image preload.

• 5.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

Posted Aug 22, 2013 06:50 PM

Last question on this, promised :)

Is the controller needed for setup/provisioning/MACD only or is it needed to maintain some sort of heartbeat? In other terms can I get by with borrowing one for a day, or do I need one during the entire trial?

thank you

• 6.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

Posted Aug 22, 2013 11:25 PM

Depends on how you are setting it up and what you are looking to trial.   It is possible to setup a RAP against a controller initially and then not require the controller after provisioning it, but it wouldn't be much of a trial from a functionality standpoint.  

It would be possible to configure it with a virtual AP that is in bridged mode and where the Remote-AP Operation mode is "backup".   The backup setting means the SSID will be available only when the RAP cannot contact its controller.  The caveat is the SSID needs to be open or PSK based.

It would be similar to setting up a "hotel mode ssid" for RAPs.  The following summarizes that setup:

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-32

• 7.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

Posted Aug 26, 2013 08:05 PM

I lied, here is one more question:

I have an opportunity to receive a 2400 for my lab, no idea what firmware version it runs but I have to think somewhat outdated. Any concerns with using it with the RAP-2 and with an AP-175? Minimal firmware levels, etc? I am not trying to do anything too complicated at this point. In the future I'd like to explore QoS/CAC for Lync, but that's not my first step.

Thank you

• 8.  RE: Using RAP-2 with "instant" (without mobility controller)???

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 26, 2013 11:53 PM

The 2400 is end of sale, so I wouldn't use it.

The certificate-based auth that a RAP2 would need to do RAP...the 2400 is not capable of it, so a RAP2 would not work with it.