Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

VLAN issues with VC assigned DHCP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  VLAN issues with VC assigned DHCP

Posted Apr 08, 2016 03:55 PM

I am using a Brocade 7450 switch and have the following trunk ports on it:

VLAN 121 - Management

VLAN 123 - Guest Wireless  (10.1.123.0/24)

VLAN 124 - Main Wireless (10.1.124.0/24)

So I have the IAP-225 (6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11) connected to a brocade port which is passing all traffic tagged for those 3 vlans. I have the IAP on with managed uplink on vlan 121 so management is working for IAP via tagged however not for VC on this IAP. I am trying to setup local dhcp scopes for VLANS 123 and 124. I set it up under DHCP local scopes. I am having the following problems.

Management is working on the tagged VLAN for the WAP only but not with the VC. How do I fix this?

I am also creating 2 different SSIDs Guest and Main and setting them to VC dhcp assignment with the custom option and picking each SSID to use its appropriate VLAN DHCP. So it passes DHCP correctly for each VLAN however they are in LALALAND Aruba magic vlan assigment and cannot ping or reach any device with VC DHCP assigment. I want the Aruba to assign the DHCP for the clients but they need to exist on the real VLAN and not Aruba make believe vlan. How can this be done?

Basically I want IAP and VC to be on 121 VLAN via trunk link

SSID Guest to use DHCP from Aruba called guest scope with network 10.1.123.x

SSID Main to use DHCP from Aruba called main scope with network 10.1.124.x (these need to exist on my real vlan and not fairly land magic vlan).

Thanks for any and all help!!!

• 2.  RE: VLAN issues with VC assigned DHCP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2016 04:43 PM

- The Aruba VC can only provide DHCP for VC-Assigned VLANs

- VC-Assigned (Magic VLAN) Vlans only exist within the Aruba VC system and are source-natted to the outside network, through the VC's ip address...

- In other words, the VC cannot provide DHCP for any VLANs that are trunked to your infrastructure; only for VC-Assigned VLANS (Magic VLANs)

- Vlans that are trunked to your switch need to have an external DHCP server providing ip addresses for clients.

I hope that makes sense....

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/DHCP_conf/DHCP Config.htm?Highlight=dhcp

• 3.  RE: VLAN issues with VC assigned DHCP

Posted Apr 08, 2016 04:56 PM

That makes perfect sense what you said. Unfortunately I am having very hard times getting some droid phones, ipads, iphones to get an IP assignment. I can get some of each but sometimes I cannot get others to connect and I dont really know what it happening. My switch is forwarding to a Win 2012 DHCP scope and I can see assignments in there with lots of IP open for assignment but cannot get certain clients to connect. I was hoping I could just skip DHCP relay and just let the Aruba do it as they do a great job of connecting clients I cannot get connectd using Win DHCP but if I am doing this I would. I can get this accomplished another way so thank you for your help Joseph!!!

• 4.  RE: VLAN issues with VC assigned DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2016 05:12 PM

Do you have a single IAP for now or multiple?  Each IAP must sit on a trunk allowing all of the VLANs that you want to serve.  Each SSID must be configured with "Network Assigned" and the VLAN number.  You need an external Layer 3 switch that will be the default gateway for your clients.  That layer 3 switch should have helper addresses on its IP interfaces pointing to your DHCP server.

Thanks for the tip on the link...

• 5.  RE: VLAN issues with VC assigned DHCP

Posted Apr 08, 2016 04:59 PM

That first link you provided for DHCP did not take me the correct page, just so you know.