Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted May 24, 2013 01:54 PM

Hi. We have 4 access points (AP-105) but the one that is designated as the virtual controller does not display anymore on the Access Points list. If I make one of the other access points the virtual controller then the same thing happens but the old virtual controller then is listed.
    I am probably missing the obvious but if someone can help I would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted May 24, 2013 02:38 PM
      |   view attached

The Virtual Controller will never show up in the Instant GUI as a separate IAP. Only with the utilization of AirWave will it show as a separate AP (even thought it's a virtual address shared by the cluster). 

I've attached a screenshot of an IAP cluster in our lab. You can clearly see that it shows the IP address of the AP currently elected as the VC. Then you can compare that against the IP's your IAP's have been handed via DHCP. 

Hope this clears up any confusion. 

• 3.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted May 24, 2013 04:41 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The strange thing is that I always used to see 4 in the list. Even the virtual controller.

It changed when I had to swap over two AP's because one refuses to connect with 1GB on the ENET port.

How can I see what clients are connected to the virtual controller ?

• 4.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted May 26, 2013 11:54 AM

You can verify which one is the master by the IP address assigned 

Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 11.50.55 AM.png

If you go and click on one of the IAPs it will tell what IP address it has assigned and see if this IP address matches the master IP address. 

Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 11.54.14 AM.png

And it also will allow you to see the clients attached to the master

Screen Shot 2013-05-26 at 11.57.27 AM.png

• 5.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted May 27, 2013 05:55 AM

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I guess that I am getting confused with the master and virtual controller. What is the difference ?  I am only using access points. Should the master and the virtual controller have the same IP address ?

192.168.168.13 is my virtual controller and that is the access point that does not show in the list. The master is 192.168.168.10 and this does show. I have changed the virtual controller to 0.0.0.0 and the fourth access point is still not showing.

I am probably missing the obvious !!!!!

• 6.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted May 28, 2013 02:15 PM

I would set the virtual controller to an address not used by any of the physical devices.

In my networks, I assign the VC to .210 and then use DHCP to assign addresses to iAPs from 211 through 230 (or whatever)

To manage the iAP swarm, go to the .210 address (replace with what you use of course) and you should see all of the physical iAPs listed in the AP list.

• 7.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted Jun 03, 2013 09:44 PM
    I am having the same thing happen. Just to be clear, if I have three IAP105's and they are 192.168.1.11, 192.168.1.12, and 192.168.1.13, I DO NOT assign one of these IP addresses as the virtual controller? I thought I had to just put one of the IP addresses of which ever AP I wanted to be the virtual controller. Should I just give the virtual controller some other Static IP address not in the DHCP Pool?

• 8.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted Jun 04, 2013 02:45 AM

Hi. The only way it works for me is to give the virtual controller and the master controller the same IP address. If use a unique or 0.0.0.0 then it still did not show in the list.

• 9.  RE: Virtual Controller Access Point Not Displayed in Access Points List

Posted Jun 13, 2013 07:35 AM

Hello All,

What I did was to have DHCP assign an IP Address to all my IAPs.

Then I went ahead to modify one of the IAPs with a Virtual Controller IP Address. This IP Address is assigned statically and should not conflict with any IP Address on your Network but should be on the same Subnet as your other IAPs.

Once I did this and saved. All IAPs are updated with this information.

I can then access the Virtual Controller GUI (via it's assigned IP Address) and I can then manage all IAPs.