Controllerless Networks

Contributor II

Visual RF vs. Fluke Aircheck

Hey all,

I'm going through a "validation" process with a Fluke Aircheck (handheld)...

Reading from the Fluke are dramatically better in terms of coverage distances...

any thoughts on why?

(grid size? TX rate? attenuation settings?)

(I'll try to post screenshots later to demonstrate)

Guru Elite

Re: Visual RF vs. Fluke Aircheck

VisualRF is "predictive" while Fluke Aircheck is actual.  Those are technically two different things.

How are you using the Fluke Aircheck to validate coverage?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Just walking slowly from each AP, monitoring dBM numbers as we go...

(I know VRF is predictive, but I was hoping to get closer to "probable" than "possible")

Guru Elite

the.sleeper,

It is probably good if you add diversity to your clients.  Use a real client like a Windows laptop, a Mac and a couple mobile devices (if android, use Aruba utilities), to compare between what fluke sees and what these devices see.  Make a chart with all their signal strengths and you would get an idea of the differences.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Additionally, with VisualRF, you can see variances based on the type of environment you configured as part of the modeling. If you configured open space in a dense office environment, VisualRF will present a far more optimistic model than reality. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Contributor II

Colin, Jerrod, 

Thank you both for your points.

My issue is actually that Visual RF is understating the 225's coverage:

VRF-coverage.jpeg

fluke.coverage.jpeg

(I manually drew the Aircheck map to illustrate the readings we were getting... basically green = -65 dBM or better)

The difference between the two is large enough that VRF estimates are almost of no use.

Seems like there would be a way to "calibrate" VRF somehow... dunno, just throwing out ideas...

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: