Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Voice VLAN priorities with IAP-105 Istant

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Voice VLAN priorities with IAP-105 Istant

Posted Apr 18, 2014 03:17 AM

Hello.

I have a question about how to approach a configuration on a cluster of IAP-105.

We have a Voice SSID deployed in our sites, with a specific VLAN ID.
    We have several wireless IP phones attached to this. So far so good.

I've been asked to modify this VLAN/SSID, in order to allow 2 things:

- users with smartphone and a softphone installed on it, should be able to use
    the phone. I think that this should not require any modification to the VLAN/SSID

- users with smartphone should be able to access applications (mail), by using the
    same SSID of the voice

The second point is the one on which I have some doubts: which is the best way to handle
    such a request? I think I should de-prioritize application traffic in some way, but I'm not
    sure if this is possible with IAP-105 and if this is a good approach to this request.

Do you have any suggestion on this?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Voice VLAN priorities with IAP-105 Istant

Posted Apr 18, 2014 03:30 AM

All we need to make sure is that type of network when you create on the IAP make sure it is configured as "VOICE" so by this way we prioritize the voice traffic by default. If you had done already, no changes needs to be done on SSID, we shoudl be in good shape.

Thank you.

• 3.  RE: Voice VLAN priorities with IAP-105 Istant

Posted Apr 18, 2014 03:37 AM

Thank you Sriram.

Yes, the SSID is already tagged as VOICE.

I have a question: how the AP prioritize the VOICE traffic over the data on the same SSID? Does it rely on DSCP (or something similar), set by the phone?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Voice VLAN priorities with IAP-105 Istant
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 03:52 AM

By default, Instant supports the ALGs for all common protocols SIP, SVP, Vocera, Cisco Skinny, Alcatel NOE. Traffic that is identified as voice (these protocols) is put in voice queue automatically.

Enable WMM on SSID will have the AP prioritizing Voice traffic automatically on air.

Thank you..

• 5.  RE: Voice VLAN priorities with IAP-105 Istant

Posted Apr 18, 2014 03:56 AM

Thanks a lot!!

I assume that WMM is enabled when I define the VLAN as voice.

Thanks again for your help!