Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

Posted May 28, 2014 05:28 AM

When using the virtual controller ip settings - does the ip should be an ip of "REAL" unit? or it's like shared address?

Please advise: Here is a screenshot that will explain my question:

Untitled.png

Because when there is a real unit with 16.181.55.1 the unit staying down....

Please advise.

• 2.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 06:36 AM
    What's the gateway for that public subnet?

• 3.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 06:38 AM

The VC address must be different from the real ip of an IAP.

• 4.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

Posted May 28, 2014 06:46 AM
    16.181.55.1 IAP /  Virtual Controller IP
    16.181.55.2  IAP
    16.181.55.3 IAP
    16.181.55.4 IAP
    16.181.55.5 IAP
    16.181.55.6 IAP
    16.181.55.7 IAP
    16.181.55.8 IAP

16.181.0.254 Gateway

• 5.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

Posted May 28, 2014 06:48 AM

All the iap's are on trunk ports with the same native vlan (all the units got static address on that native)

So based on your post,i should configure the virtual ip address as 16.188.55.1,and set all the iap's of this group to be from 16.188.55.2-9 ? and not to use the 16.188.55.1 also for an IAP unit? (did i understood right?)

As long as the virtual controller assigen ip is not 0.0.0.0

am i right?

• 6.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

Posted May 28, 2014 07:04 AM

what you wrote in your post is 100% sure?

Becuase i have another site (with same instantOS and same iAP-105 units) , and on that site the virtual controller ip got the same ip as one of the units of the group - and it's working just as needed.

Screenshots attached:

Capture222.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture22.PNG

Please advise

• 7.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 07:07 AM
    That's not best practice because if you lose that IAP, the VC address is not reachable which can affect things like Central management and RADIUS.

• 8.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

Posted May 28, 2014 07:09 AM

so i should leave it on 0.0.0.0 (if i got only one VC on that segment/vlan ?)

regarding the radius -  if i'am using 0.0.0.0 as virtual ip controller ..it's also dosent effect on radius - because the NAS IP is configured the same for all the ap's (it's conifgreable via the VC)

• 9.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)
    Best Answer

Posted May 28, 2014 09:26 AM

No, you should leave the IP you're currently using as the VC address, and give the actual AP a different address. Each AP should have it's own IP address, and there should also be a unique VC IP address in the same subnet so any IAP can pick it up should the VC need to transition. If you configure dynamic radius proxy as well then all radius requests come from this IP address.

• 10.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 07:04 AM
    Yes. Think of the VC address as a loopback.

• 11.  RE: When using the virtual controller ip settings - it's like shared address? (like vrrp)

Posted May 28, 2014 07:05 AM

thanks for the support / info.

**PLEASE TAKE A LOOK ON THE ABOVE POST*

so - how on other site - they are the same? the virtual ip contoller (the "loopback") and also one of the units inside that VC. (with no problems at all)