Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Who authenticate the MAC addresses, if I use external RADIUS for 802.1x?

I find there is a possibility to configure WPA2-Ent with external RADIUS by MAC and 802.1x authentication at the same time, but who does the MAC authentication, the external RADIUS server or the IAP?
I asked this because if I define a WPA2-PSK, and I checked the MAC authentication option, then new menu items show up, and I can define an Internal Server, and I can configure MAC addresses on this server. But if I use external radius for 802.1x, and I checked the MAC authentication checkbox, no new menu items show up.

Should I configure the filtered MAC addresses on the RADIUS server, am I rigth?

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: Who authenticate the MAC addresses, if I use external RADIUS for 802.1x?

You would use a policy engine like ClearPass to use MAC address during the authorization phase.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Guru Elite

SkiP wrote:

I find there is a possibility to configure WPA2-Ent with external RADIUS by MAC and 802.1x authentication at the same time, but who does the MAC authentication, the external RADIUS server or the IAP?
I asked this because if I define a WPA2-PSK, and I checked the MAC authentication option, then new menu items show up, and I can define an Internal Server, and I can configure MAC addresses on this server. But if I use external radius for 802.1x, and I checked the MAC authentication checkbox, no new menu items show up.

Should I configure the filtered MAC addresses on the RADIUS server, am I rigth?

Thanks!

If you use an external server for WPA2-Enterprise (radius), you also MUST use the same external server for mac authentication.  If you use PSK encryption, you can use the internal server.

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Occasional Contributor II

Now it's clear for me, thanks!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: