Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Wifi Uplink for IAPs

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Wifi Uplink for IAPs

Posted Nov 08, 2013 05:31 AM

Hello,

we are using a mobility controller (Rel. 6.2) on our campus and have some home offices connected using RAP2/3/5.

A home office user should use his or her telephone in the home office as well.

The problem is now, that some home office workers do not have their desk at the place where they have their internet connection, so telephone and RAP are far away and cabling is not possible.

I have read something about a Wifi uplink for IAPs. I guess I have to use RAP3. But is this really working with RAP3 as IAP in home office connected to a mobility controller?

Thanks and kind regards

Kevin

• 2.  RE: Wifi Uplink for IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2013 07:58 AM

This does work but try to purchase and use a RAP155.  That model is dual band!  You also have to run these RAPs in Instant mode with the VPN feature enabled.  It is different from our traditional RAP model but works quite well and has many added benefits!

• 3.  RE: Wifi Uplink for IAPs

Posted Nov 08, 2013 08:18 AM

Hi Seth,

thanks for clarification.

RAP155 is fine but more expensive. Do Uplink and User WLAN work over one band?

I guess I have to whitelist the IAP-RAP3 as I do for "normal" Remote Access Points?

Thanks

Kevin

• 4.  RE: Wifi Uplink for IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2013 04:16 PM

Yes you can - 

The Wi-Fi uplink is supported for all the IAP models, but only the master IAP uses this uplink. The Wi-Fi allows uplink to open, PSK-CCMP, and PSK-TKIP SSIDs. 

ForsingleradioIAPs,theradioserveswirelessclientsandtheWi-Fiuplink.

FordualradioIAPs,bothradioscanbeusedtoserveclientsbutonlyoneofthemcanbeusedfortheWi-Fi

uplink 

• 5.  RE: Wifi Uplink for IAPs

Posted Aug 06, 2015 07:28 AM

With Wifi Uplink can we convert the IAP as remote-ap to a controller?