Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

external captive portal not working

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  external captive portal not working

Posted Aug 18, 2015 04:49 PM
      |   view attached

We have setup an external captive portal page for guest access, basically it displays an AUP and forces the user to click on an Accept button.  We used this code to make the post back to the instant APs:

<form method="POST" ACTION="http://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/swarm.cgi">
    <input type="hidden" name="user" value="guest">
    <input type="hidden" name="password" value="guest">
    <input type="submit" name="Accept" value="authenticate">
    </form>

Now we have two problems, first of all when the user connects, the captive portal page loads just fine but when they click on the Accept button they are redirected to a blank page at http://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/swarm.cgi, but they are allowed onto the network.  The second issue is that if the user doesn't click on Accept and instead closes the window, then they are still allowed onto the network.

Here is a screenshot of the blank swarm.cgi page

• 2.  RE: external captive portal not working

Posted Aug 20, 2015 10:07 AM
      |   view attached

So we figured it out.  Our first issue was trying to use authenticated text instead of Raduis Authentication in the captive portal settings, the second issue was that we were trying to access the external captive portal by name instead of IP address.  We simply can not figure out a way to handle the dns lookup for the unauthenticated user.  It's working now, via IP address, and that is all that matters.  Also, I'm attaching a guide that was very helpful that a partner shared with us.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    External Captive Portal.pdf   118 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: external captive portal not working

Posted Sep 12, 2016 05:57 PM

caleb1946

Came across your article as I was trying to do the same on an IAP-325, although ran into a few snags. I suspect my FQDN is being returned correctly as the controller intercepts the dns query for instant.arubanetworks.com.

I was just wondering if you were still using this feature, and what code release were you on. 

Thanks,

Justin

• 4.  RE: external captive portal not working

Posted Aug 26, 2015 07:13 AM

HI,

To diagnose this issue, please use "show acl hits" and identify which all ACL are hitting for that user. this looks like a policy mapped to that user role.

Please feel free for any further help on this.