Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

Posted Oct 27, 2016 07:39 PM

someone wants me to configure an IAP 225 to use both ports to increase throughput to/from the AP.  looking through the options in one of the IAPs I don't see anything that appears to be intended to do this.  so could someone tell me where these settings are?  Also, do I need to set up an LACP trunk on the switch side to make this work as well?  or does the IAP do this by itself internally.  

• 2.  RE: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2016 07:41 PM

• 3.  RE: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

Posted Oct 27, 2016 07:48 PM

Thanks for the fast reply Tim,

So if I am understanding that correctly, I actually don't need to do anything on the AP myself, and just set up the LACP trunk on the switch and the AP will do the rest.  did I get that right?

Also, it references a specific model of Aruba switch, I assume I can do the equivalent set up on other brands and get the same results, but could you confirm or deny that for me?  

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2016 07:51 PM
    Correct. You just need to set up LACP and the appropriate switchport
    configuration on the switch side.

• 5.  RE: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

Posted Oct 27, 2016 07:52 PM

well that makes it far easier than I was expecting... thanks for the info!

• 6.  RE: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2016 07:52 PM

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/Wired_port_profile/lacp_support.htm

You need to be running InstantOS 4.2.3.0.  Please let me know if you need this for the IAP-225.  You do need to setup LACP statically on the switch side, as well.

tcappalli already answered this.

• 7.  RE: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2016 05:47 AM

While everything said about LACP is true, I'd like to give out a warning here in the case your customer expects a performance or throughput increase by this change.

Because wireless is half-duplex, and the data rates listed everywhere are gross data rates (with a lot of overhead), you are very unlikely to ever hit the 2 Gbit performance (full duplex) of a gigabit ethernet port. You are able to hit the gigabit mark only in a very controlled environment where all traffic from optimal clients, in an interference free environment, with data flowing in the same direction and on both radio's simultaneously.

So technically seen, it is unlikely that pulling 2 ethernet cables and occupying two switch port has a good return on investment. If you are really convinced that you need the bandwidth, the AP-335 with SmartRate 1, 2.5 or 5 Gbps over UTP might be a better investment.

What might be a good reason is to have redundant uplinks to your (separate) switches which can make the AP boot automatically from the other switch in case of a switch failure.