Controllerless Networks

New Contributor

how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

someone wants me to configure an IAP 225 to use both ports to increase throughput to/from the AP.  looking through the options in one of the IAPs I don't see anything that appears to be intended to do this.  so could someone tell me where these settings are?  Also, do I need to set up an LACP trunk on the switch side to make this work as well?  or does the IAP do this by itself internally.  

Guru Elite

Re: how to set up high throughput on an IAP 225

Take a look at this:
http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_
files/lacp/lacp_support.htm

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply Tim,

So if I am understanding that correctly, I actually don't need to do anything on the AP myself, and just set up the LACP trunk on the switch and the AP will do the rest.  did I get that right?

Also, it references a specific model of Aruba switch, I assume I can do the equivalent set up on other brands and get the same results, but could you confirm or deny that for me?  

Thanks again.

Guru Elite

Correct. You just need to set up LACP and the appropriate switchport
configuration on the switch side.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

well that makes it far easier than I was expecting... thanks for the info!

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/Wired_port_profile/lacp_support.htm

You need to be running InstantOS 4.2.3.0.  Please let me know if you need this for the IAP-225.  You do need to setup LACP statically on the switch side, as well.

tcappalli already answered this.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

While everything said about LACP is true, I'd like to give out a warning here in the case your customer expects a performance or throughput increase by this change.

Because wireless is half-duplex, and the data rates listed everywhere are gross data rates (with a lot of overhead), you are very unlikely to ever hit the 2 Gbit performance (full duplex) of a gigabit ethernet port. You are able to hit the gigabit mark only in a very controlled environment where all traffic from optimal clients, in an interference free environment, with data flowing in the same direction and on both radio's simultaneously.

So technically seen, it is unlikely that pulling 2 ethernet cables and occupying two switch port has a good return on investment. If you are really convinced that you need the bandwidth, the AP-335 with SmartRate 1, 2.5 or 5 Gbps over UTP might be a better investment.

What might be a good reason is to have redundant uplinks to your (separate) switches which can make the AP boot automatically from the other switch in case of a switch failure.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: