Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iAP-104 Antenna Gain

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 24, 2012 10:39 AM

When installing iAP-104 using Aruba AP-ANT-1B/1F 2.4/5 GHz antennas, what is the correct value to place in the Antenna Gain fields for the AP?  The antenna info shows 2.5-5 db gain.  The AP configuration screen does not allow entry of decimals, only whole numbers, and requires a separate entry for 2.4 and 5 GHz antennas. 

Should I use 2 or 3db for the 2.4 GHz and 5 db for the 5 GHz or some other mysterious combination?   

• 2.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 24, 2012 02:58 PM

This is incorrect behavior. 

Please open a case with Aruba TAC.  A Bug ID has been created to track the issue.  If you open a case TAC will keep you apprised of the fix.

• 3.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 25, 2012 04:14 PM

Looks like we are targeting the next release (3.2) to fix this.

• 4.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 25, 2012 01:44 PM
    Please use the following gain (numbers in parantheses are from datasheet)

- For AP-ANT-1B: 2.4GHz: 4.0dBi (3.8) 5GHz: 6.0dBi (5.8)
    - For AP-ANT-1F: 2.4GHz: 2.0dBi (2.0) 5GHz: 5.0sBi (5.0)

• 5.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 25, 2012 05:01 PM

Thank you all for your prompt responses.  I have a couple of related questions.

The iAP104 has connections for 4 external antennas.  I purchased two of the AP-ANT 1B/1F kits for each AP.  Each kit apparently consists of one ANT 1B and one ANT 1F.  The 4 antenna connectors on the iAP104 are unlabeled.  The ANT-1B appears identical to the ANT-1F.  How do we tell them apart?  Does it matter which port on the iAP-104 a specific antenna type is attached to?

In your response to my original question you gave me different gain values for each antenna type and frequency band (a total of 4 values). In the iAP-104 config you can only enter a single gain value for the 2.4 GHZ band and a single value for the 5 GHz band.   What values should I enter?   

• 6.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 25, 2012 11:43 PM

The specs for 1B and 1F are different and these antennas should not be mixed on one radio. We do not offer a kit or part # that comes with one 1B and one 1F.    The only part numbers on our price list are: AP-ANT-1B and AP-ANT-1F.

I suspect there may be confustion given the way the AP-10x configurator document spells the antennas out at http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/AP-104-AP-105_CG.pdf .

The 1F antenna should have a grey ring on the connector to visually differentiate it from the 1B model.

All external antenna AP models (except AP-124) have labels to identify radio 0 (5GHz) and Radio 1 (2.4GHz), as well as the different radio chains.  If you are holding the IAP-104 upright the two connectors at the top are one radio and the two at the bottom are the other radio.

• 7.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 26, 2012 01:32 PM

If you look at the .pdf document that you listed, it shows an item called AP-ANT-1B/1F, showing a quantity of 2.  This is what I ordered, and the antennas came two to a package. I ordered two of this part number for each iAP-104. When the antennas arrived they also had the same part number on the package as I recall  (I can't verify because I'm not currently at the site). 

What is the antenna type that I actually received when I ordered that part number?  I assumed by the part number that I would receive one of each type of antenna (one of the 1B, and one of the 1F).   If that assumption is incorrect on my part, I would hope that you would update your documentation to make it more clear as to what the part numbers contain and recommended configuration should be.

I ordered the product in this manner because I originally visited your website and used the "get a quote" functionality to get started. 

• 8.  RE: iAP-104 Antenna Gain

Posted Sep 26, 2012 10:01 PM

The document is wrong and it is in the process of being corrected as a result of this thread.

I strongly suspect you have -1B as there really is no part number -1B/F.   If you look on the bag the antennas came in there should be a part # listed.