Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:27 PM

I've got 18 iap-135 and a few 105 in one cluster. I want to create a second cluster with 4 iaps for a seperate building on our campus. (the reason for the second cluster is I'd like different SSIDs in our seperate building) - I'm told the only way to do this is by creating a seperate cluster.

Each ap has a static IP in our management vlan (vlan 11). For guest internet I'm using vlan pooling (terminating vlans on firewall/router)  and doing dhcp on our firewall / router appliance. Can I create a seperate VC in the same management vlan or do I need to use a different vlan / subnet?

thanks

• 2.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:30 PM

If the APs all share the same management Vlan they will all join the same cluster.   You will need to place them in separate vlans.

You can, however, place IAPs in "Standalone Mode" which allows each IAP to be its' own VC even if they are in the same vlan. This might not be the best approach for you as you would wind up managing 5 VCs total.

• 3.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

Posted Jan 16, 2014 06:48 PM

thanks Marcus. I will create a new management vlan for the new cluster

• 4.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 08:40 AM

It's been some time since you gave this answer. Is it now possible to get two clusters on the same subnet?

Regards,

• 5.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 09:19 AM

At this time there are ways you could do 1 or more clusters on the same subnet.

But in the case presented at the begining given the way that the new OS is done you could define ZONE on AP and SSID thus limiting the broadcasting of a certain SSID on only some AP's thus not needing to divide in more then 1 cluster.

• 6.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 09:29 AM

Thank You!

Any documentation links regarding multi cluster scenario?

• 7.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 09:42 AM

It's only something in theory .... I don't think there are documentations about something like that.

If you want to know more PM me and I can provide you what in theory might work and if you have a lab to test ... we can work together on that.

Then if you want you can post the documentation in the monthly contest on the forum :)

• 8.  RE: iap - multiple VC in same subnet?