Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 16, 2014 10:25 AM

Do you guys know if there is a way to use the iPhone USB tethering function as uplink for IAP?

WIFI-Uplink via iPhone personal Hotspot works fine but i'd prefer to get it working via USB connection.

• 2.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2014 10:26 AM

No, this is not currently possible.

• 3.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 03:33 PM

Can you say FEATURE REQUEST?  I'm rather surprised that this was not done already.  Seems like a slam dunk with the amount of iDevices out there...

• 4.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2014 03:36 PM
    You can turn on your hotspot feature and then use the WiFi uplink feature. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 5.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 05:48 PM
    Interesting scenario… How do you guys feel this would be used? How will the IAP be powered?

• 6.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 05:57 PM

IAP would be powered via power adapter.  This would allow option in case of Internet ISP outage or if traveling.  Configuring an Instant device at a hotel requires that the hotel manually activate service for the Instant device (by providing the MAC address for the Instant router).  In this configuration, we could connect power at the hotel, plug USB cable to Instant router and iPhone (or 3G/4G iPad for that matter), and get online via the 3G/4G connection.

Associate working from a client's office could bring the small RAP3, connect up, and get online without connecting to the client's network (many do not provide guest access).

• 7.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:01 PM
    I would think you'd see this available from Android devices before Apple given the open nature of Android and closed nature of Apple. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 8.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:07 PM

• 9.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:11 PM
    I would file a feature request on the idea portal then. 

To me, this seems like a lot of steps instead of just firing up a vpn connection on my laptop. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 10.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:21 PM

I u

I understand now.  Could I poke a little deeper and ask, what would be the benefit of this over just using the built-in personal hotspot function of the phone?  Is it because we believe the coverage would be better?

jerlev wrote:

IAP would be powered via power adapter.  This would allow option in case of Internet ISP outage or if traveling.  Configuring an Instant device at a hotel requires that the hotel manually activate service for the Instant device (by providing the MAC address for the Instant router).  In this configuration, we could connect power at the hotel, plug USB cable to Instant router and iPhone (or 3G/4G iPad for that matter), and get online via the 3G/4G connection.

Associate working from a client's office could bring the small RAP3, connect up, and get online without connecting to the client's network (many do not provide guest access).

• 11.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:33 PM

Yes, Yan, the wireless coverage would be better on IAP than the iPhone, especially when supporting multuple users.  We have a usecase where we sent our security team to a location when there is an incident.  Today, they bring a RAP155 in Instant mode.  They have had some issues getting the device to work depending where they go.  If they could just connect an iPhone and go, then anyone in the team could donate their iPhone and the team could get online.  The team is 4-12 people depending on that issue at hand...

We also send associates to client locations for training and implementation of ADP's products.  These teams would be onsite for about a week in a conference room.

• 12.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:37 PM
    If they're in Instant mode, why not use the WiFi uplink feature in Instant 4.1 from someone's device? Might be a good interim (or permanent) solution. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 13.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:41 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    If they're in Instant mode, why not use the WiFi uplink feature in Instant 4.1 from someone's device? Might be a good interim (or permanent) solution. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

The concern would be managing this via AirWave.  Using WIFI for uplink seems to be a global configuration in AMP and cannot be customized per IAP?  It can also be a maintenance issue when password is changed on the iPhone.

• 14.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:45 PM
    There is one more way that should work as of today and would not require per-AP configuration:

Tether the iPhone to a laptop via USB or personal hotspot
    Connect the IAP to the laptop over Ethernet, via either a built-in Ethernet port or a USB-to-Ethernet dongle
    Set up the laptop to bridge the two connections together, or use internet connection sharing

• 15.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:48 PM

Thanks, Yan.  The question came up and I said I would ask...

I still want to see GPS in the IAP.. even via USB add-on.  Imagine seeing all your IAPs on a MAP in AirWave...  Way Cool!  And we need the location to feed in to e911.  We have a huge issue right now with e911 integration with RedSky.  They've been trying to make it work for over a year now!

• 16.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:49 PM
    The other piece to this puzzle is very similar to the issue you raised with the WiFi uplink feature. Since smart phones are effectively dynamic devices, how would you be able to change the settings based on smartphone version and OS version? There very well could be changes that need to be made to the driver in Instant from version to version. 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 17.  RE: iphone usb tethering as uplink for IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2014 06:46 PM
    Ok. Sounds like the interim solution is to provide a 4G modem with the RAPs until smartphone tethering is supported. 

Thanks, 
    Tim