Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

issue getting Chromecast to work

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  issue getting Chromecast to work

Posted Apr 04, 2016 02:16 PM

I am trying to get a first gen Chromecast connected to an IAP-225. I can successfully setup the Chromecast with both an iOS and Android device but then nothing is able to cast to it. I did some searching and saw that you had to enable Chromecast in airgroup settings so I enabled Chromecast and DLNA but I still could not cast anything. 

The devices and the Chromast are on the same SSID and the same VLAN. I ended up setting up a secondary SSID just to see if that would help but it did not. I then enabled "allowall" in Air Group settings and then I finally was able to cast but only from Android devices. iOS devices can only cast youtube. 

Then I saw something that said that broadcasts are not allow on SSIDs setup as "guest" which is what my primary SSID was setup as so I changed it to employee and put all devices back on the primary SSID. But then again nothing would cast. The only times that Android devices can cast to it is if the Chromecast is on the temp SSID. Both SSID are setup as "employee" If I run "show airgroup servers verbose" I can see the Chromecast with both "allowall" and "chromecast?" profiles under service.

Can anyone help me get this to work 100%? The IAP is running 6.4.0.2-4.1.0.0_44004

• 2.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2016 02:36 PM

You should use the command "show airgroup blocked-service-id" to see if Chromcast's services are simply not defined and need to be created:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030#CLI_commands/show_airgroup_cppm_entries.htm?Highlight=blocked

• 3.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

Posted Apr 04, 2016 03:43 PM

This can only be doing through the CLI which requires access to the termial port correct? I don't have an easy was of reaching the IAP at the moment. Is there any other way of running that command?

• 4.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2016 03:50 PM

You SSH to the ip address of the Instant AP that has the issue and run the command.  Use Putty  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

• 5.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

Posted Apr 04, 2016 03:59 PM

Oh ok I was under the impression that IAPs didnt support CLI over ssh.

AirGroup Blocked Service IDs
    ----------------------------
    Origin             Service ID            #response-hits
    ------                 ----------                 --------------
    10.3.31.84 _airserver._tcp                4
    10.3.31.84 _airdrop._tcp                   4
    10.3.31.88 _pblipc._tcp                     4
    10.3.31.107 _http._tcp                    28
    10.3.31.96 _dacp._tcp                    8
    Num Blocked Service-ID:5

• 6.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2016 04:02 PM

Are you sure that is the IAP that the client or the chromecast is connected to?  Do you see either of their ip addresses in there?

You might have to upgrade your IAP for it to work properly with Chromecast.  Did you say it was 4.1.0.0?

• 7.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

Posted Apr 04, 2016 04:15 PM

None of the IPs listed belong to the Chromecast or iOS devices. I am sure that is the IAP that the devices are connected to.

Correct it is running 4.1.0.0. I hope a new update isn't required as I do not have a support contract so no acccess to the image download page. 

• 8.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2016 04:24 PM

• 9.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

Posted Apr 04, 2016 04:26 PM

Thanks! I will look at the changelog to see if there is anything about Chromecast support. 

• 10.  RE: issue getting Chromecast to work

Posted Apr 17, 2018 05:58 PM
      |   view attached

Thank you so much for the help.

I went to More > Services and under AirGroup tab, I enabled everything.

Chromecast started to work instantly. On my phone, I could see the Cast icon.

Thanks once again.