Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

Posted Sep 03, 2012 09:41 AM

Hy all,

I'm messing up with my APs, i was wondering beside IP addresses, what IAP and VC IP for ?

as far as i understand VC controller IP if useful if i have several APs in mesh mode.

so what about the IAP ip address itself ?

what is it useful for ? 

administration access maybe?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Xinity

• 2.  RE: need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2012 09:52 AM

@Xinity wrote:

Hy all,

I'm messing up with my APs, i was wondering beside IP addresses, what IAP and VC IP for ?

as far as i understand VC controller IP if useful if i have several APs in mesh mode.

so what about the IAP ip address itself ?

what is it useful for ? 

administration access maybe?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Xinity

IAPs are designed to use DHCP.  the VC ip address is a static administrative address that will always follow the VC.  If you want to administer your IAPs, you would always https into this address.  The VC ip address also allows something called "dynamic radius proxy" where radius requests will always be sent from the VC ip address, so that you do not have to put all of your IAPs as clients into the radius server.

When the VC AP goes down, the next IAP will take and will answer to the VC ip address.

• 3.  RE: need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

Posted Sep 03, 2012 10:03 AM

thanks for your quick reply,

so if i want to use dynamic vlan assignment using radius, then i should use the IAP address, and leave the VC ip for administration use only, am i correct ?

Regards,

Xinity

• 4.  RE: need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2012 10:19 AM

Dynamic Vlan assignment is sending back a radius attribute to put a user into a particular VLAN.  This can be done by setting the 

Aruba-User-Vlan attribute and the client will be placed into that VLAN.

The VC is both for administration and when dynamic radius proxy is enabled, it sends all radius requests with the source address being the VC.

• 5.  RE: need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

Posted Sep 04, 2012 04:09 AM

Great !

as advised i've changed ip addresses:

@range.7 <== VC

@range.8 <== hotspot (IAP)

regarding dynamic vlan assignment, this should be done on every single networks i want to have on my APs, and the VC ip address will be used as a proxy to send and receive radius auth, am i correct ?

sorry for all these questions, i must admit i'm not used to aruba devices :(

Regards,

Xinity

• 6.  RE: need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2012 04:23 AM

@Xinity wrote:

Great !

as advised i've changed ip addresses:

@range.7 <== VC

@range.8 <== hotspot (IAP)

regarding dynamic vlan assignment, this should be done on every single networks i want to have on my APs, and the VC ip address will be used as a proxy to send and receive radius auth, am i correct ?

sorry for all these questions, i must admit i'm not used to aruba devices :(

Regards,

Xinity

When you create a WLAN, you can choose a VLAN of "Virtual Network Assigned", which means it will put your clients on the same VLAN as the access points.  If you do that, you do NOT have to specify the VLAN number in the radius response.

The VC IP address will be used as the proxy if you enable "Dynamic Radius Proxy" under Advanced; correct.

• 7.  RE: need clarification between IAP ip address and VC ip address

Posted Sep 04, 2012 05:05 AM

Fine !

so for every WLAN i create, to use VLAN dynamic assignment, i should choose these options:

- client IP assignment:

--> Network Assigned

- Client VLAN assignment:

-> Dynamic

with this option, i should then select the correct radius attributes to put clients in the right VLAN ?