Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

new iaps does not show up

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  new iaps does not show up

Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:49 PM

I am new to the Aruba ecosystem.

I have a network of 19 Aruba APs.

There are 13 IAP-105

There are 3 IAP-135

There are 3 IAP-215

the Instant dashboard shows all the older 105s and 135s.  The 105s and 135s were previously installed before I got involved.  The new 215s do not show up.  I can locate them on the network using DHCP and I can ping them.  However I have no idea how the Aruba IAP system locates new APs and adds them to the network.  I have already checked that "Auto Join" is enabled.  I called Tech Support, but the guy who attempted to answer the question told me I needed to upgrade the 215 firmware using TFTP before they would join the cluster.  Why should i have to upgrade the firmware on a new AP right out of the box to connect it to my network?  regardless, I don't know where to start.

When I go into the Maintenance area and look for firmware version, it states that I am running 6.3.1.4.4.0.0.5.  

If I do a "new version search", it tells me that version 6.4.2.6.4.1.3.0 is available for download.

• 2.  RE: new iaps does not show up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 07:49 PM

The minimum version needed for AP-215 to run is 4.1.1.0:

41110.png

http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP210Series.pdf

I would go to the link here: http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=21998 and upgrade your old devices to 4.2.3.2.  Next, upgrade your new 215s to 4.2.3.2 and then add them to the cluster.

• 3.  RE: new iaps does not show up

Posted Sep 23, 2016 12:21 AM
    • The link to download the software gives me the following message:  
      Module Load Warning
      One or more of the modules on this page did not load. This may be temporary. Please refresh the page (click F5 in most browsers). If the problem persists, please let the Site Administrator know.

• 4.  RE: new iaps does not show up

• 5.  RE: new iaps does not show up

Posted Sep 24, 2016 01:33 PM

Thanks.  The new link worked.  But how do I find the new IAP-215s so I can upgrade the firmware?  I don't understand how the management AP finds the new APs and adds them to the cluster.  There is nothing in the management dashboard that I can use to scan the network and locate the new APs.  I can ping the IP the APs are using via DHCP, but they don't show up on the dashboard.  The documentation online is confusing.

And what is the difference between Instant OS and AirOS?

• 6.  RE: new iaps does not show up

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2016 02:48 PM

Do you have access to the DHCP server?

The instant ap's label has a mac address of the AP on it.  Find out what ip address was given to the instant's AP and try to SSH into the instant AP.