Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

problem with mesh link

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 15, 2014 11:18 PM

I have a Mobility Controller 4550 running 6.3.1.8. I'm looking to have my one AP-105 be a Mesh Portal and my one AP-105 to be a Mesh Point. I've been trying to find a document that steps through this process. I've make the AP-105 the Portal but how to make the AP-105 the Point. Suggestions or advice appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 16, 2014 12:04 AM
    You'll need a mesh cluster profile and a mesh radio profile under the VAP you want to use. Then provision the APs with their respective mesh roles under the provisioning screen.

• 3.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 16, 2014 12:09 AM

so i must create 2 VAP profile for both AP or just 1 Profile for both AP ? Thanks

• 4.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 16, 2014 12:34 AM
    One VAP. Once you've added the mesh cluster and radio profiles (under mesh when your editing your AP Group) then you can choose whether the device is a mesh portal or mesh point when you provision the Ap

• 5.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 16, 2014 01:09 AM

i was do the skenario, the result : one AP 105 can setup to mesh portal and status is up, another one AP 105 cannot up, the system say if i try console the AP : "Mesh link could not be sustained for 15 minutes", i have another question for topology : both AP must have direct connected LAN cable to Controller on both AP-Mesh Portal or Mesh Point ? Thanks 

• 6.  RE: problem with mesh link

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:33 AM

Yanto,

You do not need to create a VAP.  Here is what you need to do:

1.  Find out what ap-group you want your mesh aps to be in.  It can be in the same ap-group as your other APs.  If it is in the same ap-group it will also broadcast the same wireless lans while doing mesh at the same time.  You can create a separate ap-group if you only want them to mesh together but NOT broadcast any wireless lans.

2.  Navigate to your ap-group - There are only two mesh profiles that are necessary to do mesh and there is not much to do with them.  Go to Configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration.  If you want to create a new ap-group so that they just mesh, and do not broadcast any wireless lan, click on NEW to create a new ap-group.  If you want  to use an existing ap-group, edit the ap-group that you want your mesh devices to be in by clicking on that ap-group.  

3.  Create your Profiles - To do mesh, at minimum you need a mesh radio profile and a mesh cluster profile.  There is normally a default mesh radio profile and that is created by default, so you really only have to create the mesh cluster profile.  Navigate to your ap-group like in step 2 and expand mesh.  Click on the mesh radio profile just to make sure it exists.  There is normally a default mesh radio profile in there.  Now, click on Mesh Cluster.  In the right pane where you see "Add a Profile", click on the dropdown and click on new.  In the box to the right, name your mesh cluster anything and click on Add.  You should see your new mesh cluster.  Click on Apply in the lower left hand corner.  You should see a warning that says that the mesh configuration will not take effect unless you re-provision APs--  That is just a reminder.  In this example the defaults for the mesh profiles is sufficient.

4.  Provision Your access Points - Your access points initially must be up (wired) and connected to the controller so that you can provision them.  If you tried to provision other mesh APs and they cannot be seen by the controller, you will need to use the console cable to reset them, and then plug them in wired, so that they can be seen by the controller.  If your AP can be seen by the controller,  navigate to Configuration> Wireless> AP Installation.  You should first provision the Mesh Point (the far end of the mesh), so that you can plug it into only power and allow it to boot up.  Select the AP that you want to be provisioned as the Mesh Point and click on Provision.  Make sure the ap-group selected is the one with the mesh profiles you created in step 3.  All the way at the bottom of the page, there is a Mesh Role paramter.  Change that to Mesh Point.  Click on Apply and Reboot.  When it looks like the access point is rebooting, remove it fom the ethernet and plug it into only power so that it can boot up.  You now want to provision your Mesh Portal (wired) AP.  Go back to Configuration> Wireless> AP Installation.  Find the AP that you want to provision as your Mesh Portal; put a check mark in the box next to it and click on Provision.  Make sure the ap-group parameter is the ap-group of the mesh profiles that you created in step 3.  Go to the bottom of the page and change the Mesh Role parameter to Mesh Portal.  Click on Apply and Reboot.  You should leave the AP connected to the ethernet, because a Mesh Portal AP is the one that is plugged into the physical infrastructure.

5.  Your mesh point (the far end AP) relies on the mesh portal access point being up to reach the controller.  Wait a few minutes to make sure the mesh portal is up on the controller.  After that is up on the controller you should see the mesh point a few minutes later.

• 7.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 16, 2014 04:01 AM

hi joseph,

Thanks for answer, i was do the all step, i wait the link for establish for 30min but mesh point still cannot up, system still say : " Mesh link could not be sustained for 15 minutes". any advice ?

thanks 

• 8.  RE: problem with mesh link

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2014 06:49 AM

Yanto,

What version of ArubaOS and what type of access point?

• 9.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 16, 2014 05:37 PM

Hi Joseph,

in this case i use :

1.One Aruba Controller 4550 with OS 6.3.1.8

2.Two Access Point Type : IAP105 (i was convert to AP , manage by controller) 

Thanks,

• 10.  RE: problem with mesh link

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2014 08:59 AM

What regulatory domain? and can you print the console output from the mesh AP?

• 11.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 17, 2014 09:46 PM

hi joseph,

in this case we use regulation domain ID (Indonesian), we try to change regulation to US (united state) both AP can be UP but both AP seen in AM (air Monitor). any advice ?

Thanks,

Yanto

• 12.  RE: problem with mesh link

Posted Jul 17, 2014 09:52 PM

hi joseph,

this morning i try to change regulation domain to china mesh link can up and establish both portal and point until now. but the problem is this project will be deployment in Indonesian, any advice about this ?

Thanks,

Yanto 

• 13.  RE: problem with mesh link

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:35 AM

@yanto wrote:

i was do the skenario, the result : one AP 105 can setup to mesh portal and status is up, another one AP 105 cannot up, the system say if i try console the AP : "Mesh link could not be sustained for 15 minutes", i have another question for topology : both AP must have direct connected LAN cable to Controller on both AP-Mesh Portal or Mesh Point ? Thanks 

You need a direct connected lan cable to the mesh portal AND the mesh point when you first provision their mesh roles.  After you provision them, the mesh portal NEEDs a directly connected LAN cable.  After provisioning the LAN cable for the mesh point should be unplugged.