Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

"Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

This thread has been viewed 93 times
  • 1.  "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Jun 12, 2015 06:23 PM

I have a brand new deployment of 13 IAP-215's running 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028.  Anytime I try to do a firmware update I get the message, "Another upgrade is in progress"

Even if I reboot all the AP's in the VC, I still get the error.

• 2.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Jun 12, 2015 10:05 PM
    We're they all the same version when you built the cluster?

If you take just 1 IAP and try to upgrade it what happens?
    Have you looked through the system logs to see if there is something going on?

• 3.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Jun 13, 2015 03:01 AM

Hi friend,

Can you clarify couple of things here,

1. Is it working setup ? ( in production)

2. Are these managed by Airwave or central ?

please clarify the above. also share the out put of "show log system" we can fix the issue.

• 4.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 16, 2015 06:55 PM

I saw nothing the system logs whatsoever. However, I was able to resolve this by starting over.  

I powered off all the radios but one.  Factory reset it and started from scratch.  From there everything worked fine after bringing the others up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 5.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Aug 09, 2017 07:44 PM

I've the same problem but i cannot shutdown all the other aps to solve this issue (i'm in a critical production environment).

We've have an hibrid 205, 215 models with virtual controller (without airwave or arubacentral). Now we've the firmware 6.5.0.0-4.3.0.1_57133 and we have tried to upgrade to 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.2_58595, the output is "upgrade cannot proceed because of another upgrade in progress"

With "show upgrade" command, the output is "upgrade in progress: no"

status is image-ok in every ap

I think that is a bug...

Any idea?  thanks

• 6.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Aug 10, 2017 07:54 AM
    I've seen that before, your best bet and fastest way to fix this is to separate the clusters, upgrade them separately and join them back.

Think of the upgrade being "stuck". One of your mixed model APs is not fully upgraded.

If you know the IP address of each IAP, you can ssh into each of them and type the following:

show version #which version the AP is on
    show image version #which version each partition has (see if your AP has been pushed the correct firmware)
    upgrade-image (then hit tab), you will see:

* upgrade-image
    * upgrade-image2
    * upgrade-image2-no-reboot
    * upgrade-image2-no-switch-partition-reboot

Try upgrading to the correct image, if there using the command above, if not, do the first step.

• 7.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Jan 22, 2018 10:51 PM

Had the same issue after upgrading then trying to upgrade again.  I had to clear my browser cached files and then it worked.

• 8.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Nov 09, 2020 03:22 PM
    I ran into the same problem and was able to resolve it by switching from Chrome to MS Edge for my connection.  May be worth a try.

------------------------------
    Eric Haug

• 9.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Jun 01, 2021 03:52 PM
    I just had this issue. My resolution was to ssh into the device and run "show swarm image-sync". if there is a image-sync pending, this is the issue. toward the bottom of the output there may be an unknown device listed, particularly if you've just added a new ap with a different image version and this is why you're upgrading, as was my case. 

What I did was to go to the master, turn off auto-join mode, which makes aps that have not successfully joined the cluster appear in red (at least in the old UI). you can then select them and click the 'x' next to them to delete them. if you run the "show swarm image-sync" command now, everything should be clear and the upgrade will work fine. Afterwards you can re-enable auto-join and simply reboot the new ap and it should join fine. Make sure to take note of the serial number of the new ap before you get rid of the box; if it doesn't successfully join the cluster, its serial isn't listed in the UI of the master and the default password will be its serial number. if you're lucky it'll eventually re-join on its own if it was in cluster mode by default.

Joshua Rodgers

• 10.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Aug 29, 2023 03:08 AM

Thanks for this , massive help , I had the same issue , but I actually had to run the reload command via SSH on the primary AP ( wouldn't let me restart via GUI ) after turning auto-join mode off and removing the new AP

• 11.  RE: "Another upgrade is in progress" when trying to upgrade IAP-215

Posted Dec 31, 2023 01:17 PM

Check for entries in the ap list:

AP-Basement# show swarm image-sync

Swarm image sync ap list
    ------------------------
    MAC Address        IP Address   AP Class       Sync Method   Proxy mode  From Cache  URL Sent
    -----------        ----------   --------       -----------   ----------  ----------  --------
    XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:3a  10.10.11.10  unknown-class  Image Server  No          No          No
    Image class list
    ----------------
    Class   Seed AP
    -----   -------
    Gemini  Null

Remove this AP from the allowed APs:

AP-Basement# sh run | in 3a
    allowed-ap XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:3a
    AP-Basement# conf t
    We now support CLI commit model, please type "commit apply" for configuration to take effect.
    AP-Basement (config) # no allowed-ap XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:3a
    AP-Basement (config) # exit
    AP-Basement# commit apply
    committing configuration...
    configuration committed.
    AP-Basement# wr mem

After removing I could run the upgrade. 
    Save configuration.