Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

setup IAP as an autonomous router

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  setup IAP as an autonomous router

Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:22 AM

Hello,

Hi all,

I'd like to know if it is possible to setup one IAP as single router to the wifi network in place. Effectively the wired network I want to connect does not reach the area where my devices are,

and a second point I don't want my IAP seen as a rogue AP in the WLAN network in place then I plan to setup a LAN different from the LAN in the air.

after some searches, except conversion of my IAP to remote AP, I don't see anything else as idea and I am sure it will answer to my question.

Then the meshing applications do not provide an answer too by my own,

Thanks for your valuable ideas :)

Kind regards

Olivier Mazenod  - ALE

• 2.  RE: setup IAP as an autonomous router

Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:31 AM

Mesh can be done between Aruba APs only.

You can use "WiFi Uplink" to connect to a 3rd party wireless network.  The Users Guide covers configuration and limitations of "WiFi Uplink"

• 3.  RE: setup IAP as an autonomous router

Posted Aug 19, 2014 09:55 AM

Hi Marcus,

sorry to reply you only now, was in vacation this 1st mid-august :)

I just forgot to precise the existing wireless is built only with legacy campus AP  (AP-12X -10X models) and cannot access to the network management then don't see any possibility to make a meshing link despite I have the IAP to extend this network to some (wired) devices in area I want to cover.

Thanks to advice the uplink solution, I would check limitations on this with interest!

best regards

Olivier Mazenod

• 4.  RE: setup IAP as an autonomous router

Posted Aug 19, 2014 10:25 AM

Unfortunatly, Instant cannot form a Mesh connection to controller-based Aruba APs and cannot do WiFi uplink to Aruba APs either.   Instant can only do Mesh with other Instant and WiFi uplink is only for connecting to 3rd party APs.

• 5.  RE: setup IAP as an autonomous router

Posted Aug 19, 2014 10:42 AM

Hi Marcus,

All right, then the only possibility here is to request creation of mesh portal in the existing network     then connect my legacy AP105 as mesh end-point; right ?

I have just checked AOS guide 6.3 (quickly..) and I am not sure connect AP105 with Wifi uplink method  will extend the wireless LAN I want to reach if only management VLAN for AP is uplinked.

I am afraid now there is several features behind this term of "Wifi uplink" and I guess the meshing is the best solution here due to the limitations you expose here :)

Olivier Mazenod

• 6.  RE: setup IAP as an autonomous router
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 19, 2014 10:46 AM

Yes.........use the controller-based APs to form Mesh between each other then use the Ethernet port on the "Mesh Point" for wired access.

If you already have the IAPs you can convert them to controller-based APs in the Instant UI under Maintenance.  The IAP, if converted to CAP, can also revert back to IAP.

• 7.  RE: setup IAP as an autonomous router

Posted Aug 20, 2014 05:26 AM

Perfect, my initial request was focusing on a standalone router that I cannot build within my network.

thanks again for the advices

Olivier Mazenod