Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

the virtual controller IAP can manage all models of AP at the same time?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  the virtual controller IAP can manage all models of AP at the same time?

Posted Aug 13, 2015 04:38 PM

If i have a IAP-115 in virtual controller mode, this can manage a two AP-115 ?

• 2.  RE: the virtual controller IAP can manage all models of AP at the same time?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2015 04:40 PM

Yes it can.

• 3.  RE: the virtual controller IAP can manage all models of AP at the same time?

Posted Aug 14, 2015 12:40 AM

Hi,

Yes it can manage not only IAP 115, any other model also. criteria is, all those IAPs should be in the same subnet (VLAN) and should have same Image code version.

Master will take care of updating Image in IAPs of the same platform, if any IAP of other platform is present, either need to be updated manually or should be done through central or Airwave.

Hope got some more clarity,

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 4.  RE: the virtual controller IAP can manage all models of AP at the same time?

Posted Sep 12, 2015 08:20 AM

always interesting to see how different people read different things in question.

personally i believe the answer might be NO in this case. An IAP (Instant AP) can NOT manage a regular AP (so without the I), only other IAP. the label on the bottom of the AP will tell you what kind you have.

if that wasn't the question then ignore mine and read the two above.

• 5.  RE: the virtual controller IAP can manage all models of AP at the same time?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2015 09:18 AM

IAPs can manage other IAPs only. APs (non-IAP) require controllers and cannot be managed by IAPs. If you have multiple models of IAPs, the firmware has to either be manually managed for each version, or use AirWave or Central. APs (non-IAP) firmware is managed by the controller they are tied to. 

And yes, bonyard is correct, the sticker on the side or bottom of the AP will tell you whether it's an IAP (IAP-115) or a controller-based AP (AP-115).