Education - Australia / New Zealand

last person joined: 23 days ago 

A local community of education customers across Australia / NZ. This group will be moderated by HPE Aruba Networking staff and kept up to date with any upcoming training or events that are relevant to the EDU space.
Expand all | Collapse all

Networking can be a bit dry...

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Networking can be a bit dry...

Posted Jun 17, 2016 03:59 AM

...but not with this!
    Water feature front view.jpg
    Those of you that were able to attend either the inaugural Atmosphere ANZ on the Gold Coast late last year, or the more recent Association of Independent Schools ICT Conference in Canberra, may recall seeing this special "water feature".

Unable to play video. Please try again later.
    (view in My Videos)

Purpose-built to survive in the harshest outdoor environments, 270 series APs withstand exposure to extreme high and low temperatures, persistent moisture and precipitation, and are fully sealed to keep out airborne contaminants. All electrical interfaces include industrial strength surge protection.

side view - completely submerged.jpgfloating AP.jpgThe Aruba 277 access point is the star here. From the side you can see that it is completely submerged. As an aside, the first time I put the AP into the tank, I was rather non-plussed to discover that it actually floats...at the AIS conference I had to use a house-brick wrapped in a napkin to keep it down, and even that was barely enough.

Don't forget that the Operating temperature for these outdoor APs is -40°C to +65°C ambient temperature. They will operate outside in the Australian summer without any additional considerations - the actual components used in these devices are rated to well over 100°C. (Maybe one day I can dream up a way to show off the AP in a high-temperature environment; if you have a suitable glass-enclosed pie-warmer - or can think of something else, please let me know!)

Wi-Fi is now expected. People are so used to having access indoors, that they are now also expecting access to Wi-Fi outside. This is especially true in locations where people tend to congregate - COLAs, lunch areas, grandstands and sporting areas, quadrangles, etc. Outdoor APs allow you to provide that Wi-Fi with the minimum of fuss. The IAP 277 shown in these photos was connected directly to the network, and provided the same SSIDs and access during the AIS conference.
    Water feature at AIS.jpg
    Disclaimer
    The environmental rating for the 270 series APs is IP67. That means 30min at 1m depth – full submersion for longer than that is out of spec. Running them underwater continuously for 3 or 4 full days is not recommended or suggested - but it does make for a pretty good display!

Additional Info

• 2.  RE: Networking can be a bit dry...

Posted Jun 17, 2016 10:01 AM

No fish?

• 3.  RE: Networking can be a bit dry...

Posted Jun 17, 2016 11:18 AM

Unfortunately the chemicals I add to the water to stop it going a revolting green colour also kill fish. And I'm also not quite sure how I would store or transport the fish when not on display...

In the previous iteration, I had a plastic penguin sitting on the AP for a day; I took it off after all the Linux-heads kept asking what Linux version was running on it!

Penguin on MSM466-R.jpg