Education

Frequent Contributor II

Connecting Wireless Printers

I'm looking for advice on how to best connect wireless printers in the classroom.

The printers in question support 802.11b/g and WPA2 Personal/TKIP
The problem is that the wireless network is PEAP/MsCHAPv2 based and is not configured to authenticate using WPA2.

Given this, can anyone offer me some advice as to how I might be able to connect these printers securely without compromising security on the existing WLAN ?

Cheers.
Aruba Employee

Connecting Wireless Printers

If you take advantage of Mesh on the controller, you can connect the
Ethernet of the printer to a Mesh Point. The Mesh Point would connect
back to a Mesh Portal. The wireless link can be configured for
WPA2-PSK-AES to encrypt this link.

The topology would look something like this:

(Existing net) --ethernet-- (MPP)
|
wireless (WPA2-PKS-AES)
|
(MP) --ethernet-- printer

-michael
Aruba Employee

Re: Connecting Wireless Printers

Your other option is to enable an SSID just for the printers using WPA2-PSK. You should assign a default role to that SSID that only allows the minimum necessary print and network traffic and blocks everything else. Also of course, use a strong PSK on the network.

thanks,
-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Frequent Contributor I

Hello,

you can use a workgroup bridge for connection. That is nearly the same topology like the given Mesh example but you can use the PEAP/MsCHAPv2 based network while the Mesh feature only supports WPA PSK.

Best Regards
Guru Elite

Workgroup Bridge

Mtraettner,

Are there any workgroup bridges that you have deployed with 802.1x/PEAP on an Aruba infrastructure that you would recommend?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Along with Colin's question, how easy are they to manage and maintain? I haven't found bridges to be all that easy to deal with in the past, and if each one has it's own credentials (802.1X) that's another thing that must be managed. If the bridge has central management software that would be ideal.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: