Education

Contributor I

Large school system

I am in a large school system with 150 different schools. Each school has from 15 to 52 APs in the building. I am using remote APs tunneling back to one of my three 6000 controllers. My question is---> Each schools APs have a different password, is this a good idea or a waste of time on my part? This makes my userdb very large. Any advice is welcome.
Guru Elite

Re: Large school system

What version of OS do you have? Are you configuring the access points as RAPS so that you can bridge the traffic locally?

If you have ArubaOS 5.0 and above and you are bridging traffic locally at each school, you can turn Control Plane Security on (CPSEC) and you can just provision CAMPUS APs into whatever group you want, without making them remote APs.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Yes they are all RAPS. OS 5.0.

If I bridge locally won't I lose my 4 to 1 users advantage?
Guru Elite

Correct, you can deploy 4 times as many access points configured as RAPs on a controller than if you configured them as CAPs (Campus Access Points). Keep in mind you would still need to obtain an AP license for each access point that you deploy whether it be a CAP or RAP.

Based on your question, the difference is that with CAPs deployed with CPSEC, you would not have to enter each access point into the local database: this could be done automatically.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

thanks for the info!!
Occasional Contributor II

Warren,

I think Colin may have missed your mention of contoller you have. On the 6000 controller there is not a 4:1 difference. It is a 2:1 difference. So you can have 4096 Remote AP's on a 6000 or 2048 Campus AP's. This is aggregate total for the entire controller. So it depends on how many M3's you have and it is divided per M3. So the accurate way to look at it is per M3. Per M3 you can have 512 CAP's and 1024 RAPs

http://www.arubanetworks.com/product/aruba-6000-mobility-controller/