Education

Occasional Contributor II

Mac address authentication

Hi,

I'm using Aruba network 3400 controller with 2 APs 85 and 6 APs 61. I'm also using Aruba captive portal authenticating users through my IAS windows 2003 server (active directory users). Everything works fine except that we want to limit wireless users account for one Laptop only (users are usually sharing their accounts to outsider when they are not using accounts). Is there any way we can tight up their account to their MAC address laptop?

note: this user account also are being used from inside LAN computer labs.

Thanks in advance.
Guru Elite

Re: Mac address authentication

Since you are using Captive Portal, you can limit Captive Portal users to a single concurrent login in the Captive Portal Authentication Profle. Go to Configuration> Advanced Services> All Profiles. Expand Wireless Lan, Expand Captive Portal Authentication Profile and find the profile that corresponds to your WLAN. Enable the "allow only one active user per session" option in that profile and click apply.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Mac address authentication

Thanks for the reply. that option is to limit user to login multi session. What solution that i'm looking is to stop users from sharing their account when he/she is not using it. This is what happened to our campus, the legitimate users after finished using their account and maybe going home, they lend their account to a friend (outside campus) so the friend can use his/her account.

What we want to happen is, since every start of the semester the student is required to bring their personal laptop in registering wireless account. Is there anyway we can limit their account to use only to their laptop and not to work in other not registered laptop. When I am using the Pfsense captive portal before, we can tight up their mac address laptop to their account. is it possible also in ARUBA?
Guru Elite

Re: Mac address authentication

It is not possible in Aruba to tie a user's mac address to his login. You can do this within Windows using the advice here: http://blogs.technet.com/nap/archive/2006/09/08/454705.aspx

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base