Enterprise Lockdown

Occasional Contributor II

Unable to browse to wireless clients via host name. IDS?

I am unable to browse to client machines while they are wireless. I can browse to them via their assigned IP address but not their computer name.

I am using the Aruba DHCP server with option 81 so they are added to our DNS server. They are resolving correctly but I cannot browse to them via host name, only IP address.

Is this something in a security setting that I am overlooking?

I am running a 3400 with 3.3.2.11 with the Policy Enforcement Firewall Module and Wireless Intrusion Protection Module. Policy has an allow any.
Access list for authenticated user, straight out of the box.
user-role authenticated
session-acl allowall
ipv6 session-acl v6-allowall

If anyone has ran into this...any assistance would be appreciated.
Guru Elite

Possible reason

Adriana,

When you ping the name, what IP address do you get? Sometimes the wired, as well as wireless adapters register via dynamic DNS and the wired adapter address stays in the A-record for the name. Do you have your wireless clients register in dynamic DNS?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Re: Unable to browse to wireless clients via host name. IDS?

Thanks for the reply. When I ping the host name it does come back as their wireless IP address.

I added option 81 to the Aruba DHCP server which allows it to do DDNS to our internal DNS servers.

So it is resolving the name correctly just cannot connect by name, only IP address even though it resolves correctly. Very strange.

I've also tossed this question to tech support over a week ago and haven't gotten a reply so I'm wondering if they are scratching their heads at it as well..
Aruba Employee

Any chance you can run a packet capture on the client? It would be interesting to see the results. You could also check the ACL hits on the controller to see if it's being filtered there, but I'd be most interested in what the client thinks is going on when it uses an IP vs. the host name.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Well, I wasn't able to sniff it. I had a feeling it was the WINS settings on the controller. I wasn't specifying them. Once I added them in I was able to browse.

Thanks for the help I just don't know why it didn't try DNS or LMHOSTS before it failed. I may have to remove the WINS settings just to see for sure what was going on via packet capture.
Aruba Employee

Glad that it's working for you, please let us know how it comes out. If I remember correctly you can modify the way the system resolves hosts, and I'm pretty sure it does DNS before trying WINS but could be wrong.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: