Government

Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Cisco's Network Registrar DHCP, option 43 / 60 ArubaAP use

And so another learning experience occurs, implementing an Aruba solution on a customer's network and they are using Cisco DHCP servers. No experience with this particular beast and no helpful documentation (at least nothing like that for Microsoft's DHCP server) available on the support site for this Network Registrar server they have. Customer hasn't done any of this type of 'advanced' configuration and is looking to me. I muddled through the config but it didn't seem to work, don't have my Y cable to check the AP to see what it's seeing but I do know it's getting an IP address from the server but it's not taking my option 43 set-up.
Go go gadget Google! It's not quite my application but looks somewhat relevant:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk808/technologies_tech_note09186a0...
After reading this I know I screwed up and didn't set up the vendor class identifier (option 60) so that'll be the first thing to try in the morning. I guess my question (finally you say!) is that this should be something that is a constant configuration across the board (sans a different IP for the Master ;) and so is there anyone out there that has done this and would be so kind as to share some config steps? Even if it's just 'put this in the cli' i'll take it...
If i figure it out on my own i'll post what it took to do it...if only so I can look it back up when I run into this server again!
Thanks in advance,
Marcus
Cheers!
Marcus Wehmeyer
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Cisco's Network Registrar DHCP, option 43 / 60 ArubaAP use

Hi Marcus,

Did you have any joy? I'm having similar issues with AP61/Cisco DHCP Server
Contributor I

Issues here too.

I thougt Option 60 is just optional meant to send Option 43 data only to those clients matching that Client-id identifier. My first guess is that it does not matter, but cannot be certain.

I tried setting the option 43 using a quoted and dotted IP string, no quotes and even hexadecimal IP prefixed by F104, or F106 and F108. None succeded. I can see the option sent using my network sniffer, but the AP just ignores it (I know because I was reading boot console output ending with "master is " totally blank)

Anyone succeded?

Thanks
Guru Elite

Mandatory

Both options are mandatory...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Really???? OMG, I sincerely hope that was my stupid mistake. I'll try that ASAP and come back to thank you. :)

Occasional Contributor I

How could option 60 be mandatory on the server?

Option 60 is the vendor class identifier, => the way a piece of hardware presents itselft in its Dhcp-/Bootp discover packet - it's not something you define on the server itself.
For a solid explanation on this search youtube for "option 43".

I would love to know if i am wrong...

best regards
/Jan Denmark
Guru Elite

Option 60

if you don't define Option 60 as "ArubaAP" the DHCP server will NOT return option 43. It is that simple,

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Allright thank you!
I guess its not a Microsoft Dhcp-server we are talking after all (it can deliver standard option 43 without option 60).
What about equipment unable to present itself in option 60? It will not be able to get an option43 then?
Option 43 delivers a certain datatype depending on the code value in option 43.
I have not been able to find any code values for Aruba (how Arouba should interpret the option 43 depending in the code value). Is the only option an IP adress as the option 43 value?

Thanks a lot for your clarification !
/Jan
Occasional Contributor I

I have sniffed Bootp and sure enough ArubaAP's asks for option 60 in their option 55.
I bellieve this is against the Rfc.

/Jan Vejling
Denmark
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: