Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I
Chromebooks on 802.1x SSIDs issues?

Is anyone out there seeing issues with Chromebooks on 802.1x SSIDs?  I have seen 2 Chromebooks already with extremely poor performance on 802.1x SSIDs, and just fine on open SSIDs.  Symptom is basically frequent disconnects/re-connects often enought is unusable on 802.1x SSIDs.  Tested both TTLS and PEAP, same results.

Marcelo Lew
Wireless Network Architect-Engineer
University of Denver
Guru Elite
Re: Chromebooks on 802.1x SSIDs issues?

mlew2433 wrote:

Is anyone out there seeing issues with Chromebooks on 802.1x SSIDs?  I have seen 2 Chromebooks already with extremely poor performance on 802.1x SSIDs, and just fine on open SSIDs.  Symptom is basically frequent disconnects/re-connects often enought is unusable on 802.1x SSIDs.  Tested both TTLS and PEAP, same results.

Please make sure that both are up to date.  Another user had problems, as well, and updated them and their problems went away.  It would be great to hear what other users experience on chromebooks, as well.  There could be issues with Chrome:  https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=297607

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Yup, first thing I did was updating them to the latest patch, released September 13th.  Still the same issue.

Marcelo Lew
University of Denver
Occasional Contributor I

We are having the same issues as well here at DPS.  Are your SSIDs broadcast?  Ours are not.  We are trying to decide if that would help at all.  What we are hearing from Google is they have a problem wtih 2.4 and 5.  Their suggestion to us was to setup and SSID that is on 5 only.

New Contributor

We are having the same issue at Murray State.  I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet.  We are running Clearpass 6.2 Patch 2, with Cisco 5508 Wireless Controllers 7.4 MR1.  Our SSID's are broadcasting.

Frequent Contributor I
Re: Chromebooks on 802.1x SSIDs issues? and now Surface Tablets..

And, we now also see the same behavior on Windows Surface Tablets running 8.1.  On our 802.1x SSID, connects, but then it drops and reconnects constantly.  Open SSID and pre-share key is fine.  I will do some troubleshooting tomorrow, but any suggestions if you went through this already are highly appreciated..  :smileyhappy:

Marcelo Lew
University of Denver
Contributor II

Just to add to the list - we are seeing the same thing here with Surface tablets.

Just got our hands on our first unit for testing and cannot connect to 802.1X via Clearpass - to be fair - have done no troubleshooting beyond checking Clearpass logs to see that the Surface device (and user) is being profiled correctly and alloacted the correct role   - but response from the Surface tablet is that Wreless conenction is limited and we get a 169.X.X.X self assigned address. Not sure if DHCP  or Aruba related  - but interesting timing seeing similar issues with other users and Surface.

Wally

MVP
I observed a surface issue wherein it did not like non-40MHz 11n channels. It would disconnect intermittently. Enabling 40MHz resolved the issue. . . fwiw.
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Frequent Contributor I

I isolated the issue on both Chromebook and MS Surface RT.  They don't like WPA2-802.1x or PSK on NATed addresses.  Confirmed this several times through different tests.  At this point I'm having users connect to our guest open SSID.

Marcelo Lew
University of Denver
MVP
Please share your tests. We?re going to be rolling out NAT for our student mobile devices, so I?d like to get in front of this issue if possible. What ArubaOS are you running? Is this a verified issue at Aruba? What about NAT breaks things for these two device types?

- Ryan -
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: