Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II
High Noise Floor

Does anyone have information about the best way to track down what is causing a high noise floor?

Thanks,

Brad

Aruba
Re: High Noise Floor

Easy way to track down the noise floor is by running the spectum monitor on the RF or if you have spectrum monitor provisioned on already on controller. below command will help you..

(Aruba) #show ap spectrum ?
ap-list Show list of APs being monitored
channel-metrics Shows channel quality, availablity and utilization
channel-summary Shows channel summary information
client-list Show list of WiFi clients being monitored
debug Show Spectrum Monitor debugging information
device-duty-cycle Shows duty cycle by device type
device-history Show history of non-WiFi devices
device-list Show list of non-WiFi devices being monitored
device-log Show time log of non-WiFi devices
device-summary Shows devices vs channel information
interference-power Shows list of interference power
local-override Spectrum Override Profile (local to this controller)
monitors Show all Spectrum Monitors registered on this
controller
tech-support Display all information for an AP

Show ap arm rf-summary ap-name <name of the ap> will show you the noise floor on each and every AP itself.

Thanks!

Sriram,

Thanks for the information. I already know I have a high noise floor in an area in the 2.4 GHz range. I can see it on the controller. In this case a -80 dBm. My question is how to go about finding / isoloating the source causing the issue.

Thanks,

Brad

Aruba

Yes.As i had mentioned, you may need to run the specturm analyser or put the AP on  spectrum monitor mode  to figure out the source for the root cause of  interference and noise floor, If we have any cordless phones, mocrowave oven, blue tooth devices; may need to switch it off to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Hopefully the attached picture will explain my question more clearly: Here's a case where I have a noise floor of -65dBm. Spectrum is showing the following. The building occupants are claiming they don't have either of the two devices. What is the best (quickest, easiest, etc) way to physically find the source of this interference.

Thanks,

Brad

Guru Elite

Brad wrote:

Hopefully the attached picture will explain my question more clearly: Here's a case where I have a noise floor of -65dBm. Spectrum is showing the following. The building occupants are claiming they don't have either of the two devices. What is the best (quickest, easiest, etc) way to physically find the source of this interference.

Thanks,

Brad

You would need a portable spectrum analyzer to even have a chance of  locating those two devices.  

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

That's what I was thinking. How about a discussion of the various products people are using? What works well? What doesn't work well? What features do you like / dislike?

Frequent Contributor I

We purchased a wi-spy from MetaGeek. I generally know how to use it, but don't have experience with anything else to compare it with.

http://www.metageek.net/

rwilsonblue,

Can you tell me how you use it? What problem are you seeing that causes you to start it up? How do you go about using wi-spy to solve the problem? What features work well or which features do you wish it had?

Thanks,

Brad

Frequent Contributor I

Brad,

The biggest thing it does for me so far is give insight that I don't have otherwise or provides a "second opinion" so to speak comparing what I'm seeing from the controller and AMP.  I have not run into situations yet where it identified a non-wifi device causing issues, although I have simulated this with  microwaves and bluetooth devices. What I have used it for is to get more detailed spectrum information and WIFI information than other tools on our laptops or mobile devices provide during installation. 

hope this helps.

Robert

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: