Higher Education

last person joined: 14 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

Posted Feb 20, 2016 03:18 PM

I have a brand spank'in new IAP205H. It doesn't work :-(  Here is what I have gone through, any advice on this is appreciated as I don't get to work with IAPs often so my experience with them is limited. (though I do have an IAP115 blowing up my home wifi)

- Fired up new IAP205H and waited for the instant SSID, and waited and waited and waited... it never appeared. Its indicator light was solid amber, which by the books is virtual ap disabled.

- As I do not have the console adapter for this unit (why did they go all funky on this one?) I couldn't console into it to reset it so I had to use the reset button method, which I did, 6 times, still the same results

- so I took the AP home figuring maybe I could get it to link up with my IAP115 at home and maybe fix it that way. Nope, wouldn't connect automatically or manually.

- The 205 DID draw an address on the network. I could also get to the web interface of the 205 that way. However the default user/pass would not work no matter how many times I tried.

- So I tried SSH'ing into it on my little home network and sure enough, I could! SCORE!!! Now I could just go make all the changes via CLI and all would be good in the universe! NOPE. I could view just about anything but could not go into conf t. It said "configuration could not be performed in its degraded state". WTF?

So  that's where I am at gang. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

Posted Feb 20, 2016 03:44 PM
    Sounds like it isn't fully connected (sufficient permissions) to the Internet?

• 3.  RE: Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

Posted Feb 20, 2016 04:44 PM

The IAP205H is probably trying to join the cluster of the IAP115; but the firmware-versions are not the same, so the 205H cannot join.

You have to make sure the IAP115 & 205H are on the same version. The 205H will probably ship with a later version, so you have to upgrade the IAP115 first...

If you want to access the web-interface of the IAP205H you would either have to bring it online in another VLAN or disconnect the IAP115...

• 4.  RE: Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

Posted Feb 20, 2016 06:06 PM

@arjan_k wrote:

The IAP205H is probably trying to join the cluster of the IAP115; but the firmware-versions are not the same, so the 205H cannot join.

You have to make sure the IAP115 & 205H are on the same version. The 205H will probably ship with a later version, so you have to upgrade the IAP115 first...

If you want to access the web-interface of the IAP205H you would either have to bring it online in another VLAN or disconnect the IAP115...

Thanks Arjan, I'll try that tonight!

• 5.  RE: Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

Posted Feb 22, 2016 08:34 AM

@americanmcneil wrote:

@arjan_k wrote:

Thanks Arjan, I'll try that tonight!

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Thanks Arjan, as it turns out this was exactly the case. My IAP115 was several major revs behind the IAP205. Since I had already assigned an IP to the virtual dashboard and it was all running on an older rev, it was blocking me from logging in to the 205 as they were on the same VLAN (in this case, VLAN 1 as this was an impromptu lab set up at home). So I spent some time and got both APs to the same rev and then they immediately began to talk. The 205 showed up on the virtual dashboard since I had auto-join set and within a few min it was broadcasting the proper SSID.

Thanks everyone for the great input as this has turned out to be a great experience for me in learning more about the Instant APs.

• 6.  RE: Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

Posted Jan 02, 2018 02:38 AM

Hi

i have IAP 205, i try to connect it in the network, it wont broadcast the SSID, 2.5GHZ & 5GHZ, LED are in amber indications, when i try to take in SSH through console, it displayed it is in degraded state, help me to solve the issue.

• 7.  RE: Is my new IAP205H just a pretty brick?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2016 10:37 PM

@americanmcneil wrote:

I have a brand spank'in new IAP205H. It doesn't work :-(  Here is what I have gone through, any advice on this is appreciated as I don't get to work with IAPs often so my experience with them is limited. (though I do have an IAP115 blowing up my home wifi)

- Fired up new IAP205H and waited for the instant SSID, and waited and waited and waited... it never appeared. Its indicator light was solid amber, which by the books is virtual ap disabled.

- As I do not have the console adapter for this unit (why did they go all funky on this one?) I couldn't console into it to reset it so I had to use the reset button method, which I did, 6 times, still the same results

- so I took the AP home figuring maybe I could get it to link up with my IAP115 at home and maybe fix it that way. Nope, wouldn't connect automatically or manually.

- The 205 DID draw an address on the network. I could also get to the web interface of the 205 that way. However the default user/pass would not work no matter how many times I tried.

- So I tried SSH'ing into it on my little home network and sure enough, I could! SCORE!!! Now I could just go make all the changes via CLI and all would be good in the universe! NOPE. I could view just about anything but could not go into conf t. It said "configuration could not be performed in its degraded state". WTF?

So  that's where I am at gang. Any ideas?

I searched the Airheads Community knowledgebase  (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Support/ct-p/Support-Documentation-Downloads) for "Degraded" and this is what it returned:

Aruba Instant 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11 Release Notes - http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/Software-Downloads/31/1/Aruba%20Instant%206.4.2.6-4.1.1.11%20Release%20Notes.pdf

"Improved Troubleshooting Capabilities for IAP Clustering Issues

Under the following scenarios, Instant versions prior to 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0 prevented the users from logging into
    the CLI and User Interface, making troubleshooting difficult.
    - When the IAP cannot be a Master IAP due to the unavailability of an IP Address and also does not have an
    uplink connection.
    - When the IAP is unable to join the cluster because of the missing country code, image, or SKU.
    - If the user changes the authentication type from Local to a RADIUS Server when the RADIUS server is not
    ready.
    15 | Features Added in Previous Releases Aruba Instant 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11 | Release Notes
    - In the case of IAP-9x platforms, when the slave IAP may not be able to join the master IAP due to certain
    restrictions.
    -If the IAP is not allowed to join the allowed-ap-list when auto-join has been disabled.
    -In a mixed class network, when the slave IAPs join the master IAP with a different Instant version causing
    the image sync from the cloud and the AirWave to fail.
    - When the user connects the E1 port of the IAP to a switch, and the IAP is running Instant 6.3.1.4-4.0.0.7 or
    earlier version.

Starting with 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0 Instant will allow the user to login to the CLI and execute troubleshooting
    commands , however the following warning message would be displayed under the above mentioned
    scenarios:
    Warning: CLI module is running in a degraded state. Some commands will not function."