Higher Education

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Mac OS X computers can see, touch, feel, hug, go to dinner with and login to, but can't print to

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Mac OS X computers can see, touch, feel, hug, go to dinner with and login to, but can't print to

Posted Nov 10, 2015 09:53 AM

So I have gotten wireless printing for us here at our little community college working pretty well. My challenge has been/is Mac products (MacBooks, All-in-Ones, etc.. but OS X in general). I have gotten to the point that Macs can see the printers, ping the printers and even log into the web interfaces of the printers, yet the print jobs fail every time.

Any advice out there from the Aruba/Mac folks out there?

• 2.  RE: Mac OS X computers can see, touch, feel, hug, go to dinner with and login to, but can't print to

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2015 10:35 AM

We are missing detail on what products you are using and how they are configured.  We need that information to help.

• 3.  RE: Mac OS X computers can see, touch, feel, hug, go to dinner with and login to, but can't print to

Posted Nov 10, 2015 11:27 AM

Hey CJ! 

I am waiting on a test machine to get here from our downtown campus as I have only been able to test on various employee Macbooks and thus were not able to keep them long. Once I have that here and set up I'll add its information.

Otherwise, the printer I am testing with is typical of most places through out the campus. It is a Dell D3115cn color laser printer. For PC's we normally set up printers via our AD Print server. Unfortunately in order to load the printer automatically through the server you have to have IE 10 or better as that is the only browser it works with. So this is not an option with Macs unless there is some mystery version of IE out there for OS X that does not require a WINE environment that I have yet to discover. (also, the IE Tab for Chrome does not work as you have to have IE installed on the machine) That means manual printer installation on the Macs and printing via IP as opposed to through the server.

That's where I am at the moment.

• 4.  RE: Mac OS X computers can see, touch, feel, hug, go to dinner with and login to, but can't print to

Posted Nov 10, 2015 01:55 PM

I definitely appears to be a role access issue. I have the printer on my test Mac set up via IP printing. When connected under MY credentials with a full, open allow any/any on my IT Role I can print to the Dell laser printer with no issues. When connected with the test faculty account which gets the standard rule set for employees, it is a different story. I can ping the printer and log into the web interface of the printer, but printing fails.

So I am thinking maybe a port issue? Allow a certain port and printing should then work? 

• 5.  RE: Mac OS X computers can see, touch, feel, hug, go to dinner with and login to, but can't print to

Posted Nov 11, 2015 12:38 PM

Sure enough, it was an access rule on the role of the user. I allowed the following and then it worked like a champ:

tcp udp 9100 HPPI (formerly Jetdirect)
    tcp udp 631 IPP (internet printing protocol)
    tcp udp 515 LDP (line printer daemon)

Sometimes all you need is a nudge in the right direction, thanks again CJ!