Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Frequent Contributor I

Re: MacBooks - wpa2-eap-peap reauth delays...

We are seeing the same thing in our environment - Mac users (mainly MacbookPro running 10.9.1 + ) are having just horrible roaming issues. Sometimes a student will be at their desk, and not moving, have full signal, and then their device will just pop-off the network, and go into a 30 minute roaming cycle... where their machine, during this time, will not attach to any of our APs.

But the rub... It is an intermittent problem, it is hard to reproduce (I have had a macbook on my tech desk now for over two weeks and have not been able to reproduce it. But when it happens, it is just painful.

The end users are also not happy because their response is that they have the best computer money can buy and the people at the mac store says their computer is working in perfectly.

I guess I am just trying to not pull any more of my hair out over this... Is this an Aruba issue or a OSx 10.9.x issue?

I have tried all the work-arounds above and have no success on anything permanent.

Guru Elite

danstl,

If you are having roaming issues when not moving, please make sure your access points:

- Are not broadcasting above 18

- Are not less than 55 or 60 feet apart.

We have seen issues with roaming while standing still when devices have too much coverage.  If you have excellent coverage, please make sure your access points are at a max of 18 to start.

I believe most of the people with the MAC roaming issues are roaming while actually moving and it is easily reproducible.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Are you talking transmit on the radio config, or the ARM config, or both?

We do have very good coverage in most areas where the students are located.  I will check these things out - I may have to break up my APs into smaller groups to better manage the radio powers....

Guru Elite

Danstl,

If you have ARM Enabled (on Single-Band), only the ARM-MAX-TX and ARM-MIN-TX control the transmit power.  The power under the radio does not have any effect when ARM is enabled.

If you have good coverage, examine what power all of the access points are at.  Also check to see if you are running 20 mhz or 40mhz channels.  You know you are running 40mhz channels if the access points has a + or a - after the channel.  Lastly use inssider or another utility to see how many access points you can see from where a single person is sitting.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Hey danstl 

I am seeing exactly the same issues that you have described.

To answer your question from my point of view, "Is this an Aruba issue or a OSx 10.9.x issue?"

I believe this to be an OSx issue as I have tried everything that has been suggested in this forum and by Aruba tac and we have made no progress.

We also use ChromeOS and Windows and those devices are working as expected.

Frequent Contributor I

shaun wrote:

Hey danstl 

I am seeing exactly the same issues that you have described.

To answer your question from my point of view, "Is this an Aruba issue or a OSx 10.9.x issue?"

I believe this to be an OSx issue as I have tried everything that has been suggested in this forum and by Aruba tac and we have made no progress.

We also use ChromeOS and Windows and those devices are working as expected.

We also have windows and ChromeOS deployed and only see this issue with Macs, specifically 10.9.x

Frequent Contributor I

To make the ssl issue reproducible at will I delete the user from the controller:

#aaa user delete mac a:b:c:d:e:f

Not exactly a roam event since the macbook typically rejoins the same ssid in my test environment - but to the macbook  it is now forced to attempt to reconnect to the ssid.   And this demonstratoed the iMacOSx ssue with verifying 2048bit SSL certs that only occured when the macbook was in a reconnect state vs a new connection.

if it truly only occurs when the macbook moves to a new bssid.... get a microwave near the macbook or AP and start making popcorn for the office? and bring in your own AP using 40Mhz channels on 2.4 - some 802.11b-only printers/game systems...(ie simulated dorm environment) :)

danstl wrote:

[..]

But the rub... It is an intermittent problem, it is hard to reproduce (I have had a macbook on my tech desk now for over two weeks and have not been able to reproduce it. But when it happens, it is just painful.

New Contributor

Shaun, danstl

Not sure how you guys are making out with this issue. I upgraded a mac to 10.9.2 last night to do some more testing. Roaming seemed a little slower at first; I removed the certs completly from the machine and reinstalled, re-auth times are back down under 1 second. 

Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.2

Aruba Controller Version 6.3.1.2

Primarily AP-105s

WPA2 eap-peap

Frequent Contributor I

JRose003 wrote:

Shaun, danstl

Not sure how you guys are making out with this issue. I upgraded a mac to 10.9.2 last night to do some more testing. Roaming seemed a little slower at first; I removed the certs completly from the machine and reinstalled, re-auth times are back down under 1 second. 

Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.2

Aruba Controller Version 6.3.1.2

Primarily AP-105s

WPA2 eap-peap

All of our mac users are BYOD - so getting them to upgrade can be a pain - I will notify all our mac users to stay on 10.8.x or if they are on 10.9 then make sure they upgrade to 10.9.2

It is just really odd because we are not seeing it on most devices, but some just love to not connect.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Ap 275 mesh portal

Dear All.

first guied me how to post new problem in Airheads  community.

second i have 7200 controllers master backup and Aps 105 225 25 275 ets.

now i  have 275 outdoor AP i want to make this AP mesh portal is it possible are if yes the how can i make this happend pleas guide me

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: