Higher Education

last person joined: 17 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:12 PM

I know I have a few random IAPs in my network that have been converted into lightweight APs. Is there anyway to determine which ones those are with out having to take them down and look at their model designation on the back of the physical AP? Maybe a command line query or something?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

MVP
    Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:18 PM

Look at activate.arubanetworks.com I believe you can sort by model to identify IAPs & RAPs.

• 3.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:27 PM

@bosborne@liberty.edu wrote:

Look at activate.arubanetworks.com I believe you can sort by model to identify IAPs & RAPs.

Hmmm, don't seem to have an activate.arubanetworks.com account. Would that even be the case for local controller based APs?

• 4.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

MVP
    Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:31 PM

All IAPs & newer RAPs check in with Activate for configuriton changes. You use activate to convert an IAP to a RAP or campus AP.

Activate also tells the newer RAPs the ip address of their controller, I believe.

• 5.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:36 PM

Interesting. Honestly this is the first I have heard of activate.arubanetworks.com. With the IAPs I converted, I had to do it via serial-ing into the AP and issueing a change command that switched them over to a standard AP.

• 6.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:43 PM

The APs have an IAP designation in the model number on the back of the AP.

You can also check it by running the command below and looking at the backup image.

show ap image version ap-name <ap-name>

ap-image.PNG

• 7.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

Posted Feb 18, 2016 05:10 PM

@cappalli wrote:

The APs have an IAP designation in the model number on the back of the AP.

You can also check it by running the command below and looking at the backup image.

show ap image version ap-name <ap-name>

ap-image.PNG

Excellent!! Thanks Cappi, running that command with out the AP specifier ends up listing All of the APs on said controller. If you stretch out the SSH session box it becomes very easy to identify the IAPs how you have highlighted in the example. Thanks a bunch!!

That should be a COTD!!

• 8.  RE: Random AP/IAP detection question (◔/‿\◔)

Posted Feb 18, 2016 05:01 PM
    I thought I saw an option in the WebUI of the Instants to convert them to campus APs too. I’ve never looked to see if there is an option in the CLI.