Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
MVP
Top clearpass features for the educaton vertical

Hello

I was wondering what would be your top 10 or top 5 features  for the educational vertical fr having clearpass..

If you have to tell another network admin of another university why they MUST get clearpass what would you tell them?? what would be your top reasons?

If theere are money savers reasons that would be awsome as well :)

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
MVP
Re: Top clearpass features for the educaton vertical

One of the things i would like to know what issues you had before not having clearpass and what after having it you dont have that issue anymore.

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

Profiling, visbility/troubleshooting, non-browser device registration

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor I
[ Edited ]

ClearPass is like a swiss-army knife. It excels in all areas of AAA. Well worth the money spent. Wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be either (we use virtual).

We use ours to handle BYOD, but it can do a lot more.

Guests get redirected to a captive portal to accept TOS. They must accept every 24 hours. No login required, but the role applied gives them only basic internet access.

Students and faculty get redirected to a captive portal to accept TOS. Logins are mac-cached for 120 days. They have less restrictive access than guests, and more bandwidth.

BYOD faculty and staff will be onboarded to a secure network very easily via captive portal -- we are in process of configuring this.

Occasional Contributor II

It is a nice overlay that gives you more granular control. We are and will use it solve 2 big issues for us.

We are using the MAC-Cache feature to allow our guest users to have a more eduroam like experience. The biggest complaint around captive portal for our short term participants was the need to continually log in on a mobile device. We can now offer them a more friendly approach where they only have to log in every 2 weeks, as their MAC is cached and provided they have passed user auth, then that is it for 14 days, they automatically connect.

They also love the self registration feature and it has taken a load off the helpdesk guys.

We plan to offer a more desktop like experience for our staff laptops, if the laptop has a domain account and the user passes their authentication as a member of the staff AD group, then we have permissioned the same access as they have for their desktop. If they log in on a non university laptop, then they just get the standard staff wireless profile - all done through ClearPass policies.

MVP

Do you guys for the studends  access do you use more clearpass guest with mac caching or do you use onboard? for universities?

Im looking to know if for student access i should offer onboard or  guest license..

It would be helpful with some examples like i would use guest becuase of this, this and this or i would use onboard because this, this and this.

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite
Just have students do PEAP (username password). Then you only need base licenses.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
MVP

But then i would need to use the quick connect as well  right?

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Contributor I

NightShade1 wrote:

But then i would need to use the quick connect as well  right?

Cheers

Carlos

As long as your radius server (clearpass I'm guessing) has a publicly trusted certificate, you don't "need" quickconnect. 

When users connect to your PEAP network, they will be prompted to enter their username and password, and then many Operating Systems require them to verify that they trust the certificate of the radius server (the public one you installed).

It's not the most secure or the prettiest for the users, but it also the most affordable!

MVP

If its a computer which is on a domain let say a student which bring a laptop of the work, then it will try using his credentials for it.   It wont be automatically just like it...

cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: