Higher Education

last person joined: 10 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Extender for HDMI System

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Wireless Extender for HDMI System

Posted Sep 12, 2014 04:17 PM

Hello,

I just got a request to look at a wireless extender device. It is used to extend HDTV sources wirelessly on the 5GHz spectrum. I was wondering is anyone had had any good or bad experience with these devices coexisting with their wireless network?

On airwave, I see the AP detect an interference source and moves to another channel. The AP does not identify the interfering source however. I have also not complained about bad wireless connectivity.

The device in question is a gefen wireless HDMI extender operating in the 5GHz spectrum:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-whd-1080p-lr-blk.jsp?prod_id=10922

Regards,

Edward

• 2.  RE: Wireless Extender for HDMI System

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2014 04:22 PM
    They usually create an Ad-hoc network between the two devices and definitely will interfere (high utilization). These behave similar to Intel Wireless Display / Miracast.

• 3.  RE: Wireless Extender for HDMI System

Posted Sep 12, 2014 04:42 PM

That is great information, thank you. I only know it uses the WHDI 1.0 Stanadard. Now knowing that it acts like MiraCast/Intel Wireless display is going to help me understand these devices and if it is causing problems on my wireless network. I am going to have to use my trusty spectrum analyzer to get a signature.

Edward

• 4.  RE: Wireless Extender for HDMI System

Posted Sep 12, 2014 04:46 PM
    We ended up going with cat 5e shielded. It is going to be more reliable on a wired connection.

Kind Regards,

• 5.  RE: Wireless Extender for HDMI System

Posted Sep 12, 2014 05:01 PM

Yes, wired connection is always my preferred solution. Unfortunately, our AV department wants to be mobile with their AV equipment, thus the wireless solution. I am right now leaning on getting them to try WirelessHD which work in the 60GHz spectrum.

Edward

• 6.  RE: Wireless Extender for HDMI System

Posted Sep 12, 2014 05:24 PM

Edward,

The AV Team installed a StarTech.com HDMI wireless extender in a couple of meeting rooms. I found out about them when I started getting complaints about poor wireless during meetings. They produce a beautiful picture. I provisioned an AP for spectrum monitoring and found they created a utilization bell curve that spread across 10 5-GHz channels. It totally wiped out the two center channels and tailed off toward the two outer sides. Luckily, the unit had a remote control that allowed me to change the channels it used. I put it in the DFS range and haven't had a WIFi problem since.

Thanks,

Brad

• 7.  RE: Wireless Extender for HDMI System

Posted Sep 12, 2014 05:28 PM

Wow. This is great infomation, thank you. I am definitely going to use my spectrum analyzer now to see on what channels these Genfen device operate on. We are starting to use DFS channel here at the college, so that is not going to give me much room to wiggle.

Regards,

Edward