Higher Education

last person joined: 11 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 08, 2014 09:01 AM

The quick and dirty of my set up:

3200XM Local   Downtown Campus

3200XM Dedicated Master ------>  3400US Local   North Campus

3600US Local   Downtown Campus

ArubaOS ver. 6.2.0.2 on all controllers

So the other day the Wireless IDS freaks out and starts tarpitting / de-auth attacking its own authorized AP's causing a wide spread outage. The only way I found to stop it was to disable the WIDS and then reboot the Master. I tried re-enabling the WIDS with just the recommended settings through the WIDS Wizard and it did the same thing. Again, to stop it I had to disable WIDS altogether and then reboot the master.

Anyone seen this before and can offer some insight? Any ideas on configuration? ummm help? (haven't opened a ticket with Aruba TAC yet as i will be in and out of the office today)

• 2.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 09:10 AM

Can you go through WIDS and disable any tarpitting options to see what the controller is detecting?  A TAC case is your best option here...

• 3.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 08, 2014 09:15 AM

I'll double check that this evening Seth. I don't want to do it right now just incase it does it again and causes another outage during our main "business" hours. And yeah, I figured I would have to open a case with TAC but I always like to try here first. I have gotten a lot of help and useful info from these boards :-)

• 4.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 09:20 AM

You should be ok.  However, I understand your reservations.  In the IDS wizard, just set the protection to OFF.  It will just detect the "attacks" and not do anything to prevent/supress them.

Screenshot 2014-04-08 09.18.27.png

• 5.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 08, 2014 09:32 AM

So to clarify, I should be able to set what ever I want but as long as the protection services in step 5 of the wizard are turned off, there should be no actual effect on the wireless services. Correct?

• 6.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 09:37 AM

Yes - keep those settings OFF and the system will be in a detect only mode.

• 7.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 09, 2014 08:54 AM

So far so good. I just got the baseline detection up and running with protection turned off. However, I am not seeing all of the crazyness of my own AP's as a threat like I was before. Thoughts?

• 8.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 10, 2014 09:46 AM
      |   view attached

So I was wrong, I am seeing something wrong. All of the clients are marked as invalid. That is not cool. If I were to enable protection again I bet it would start seeing its own AP's as a threat again...

• 9.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2014 09:59 AM

americanmcneill,

Clients are only marked as valid if they ever have connected to your wireless network with encryption.

Honestly, you should probably contact TAC to make sure that you are making the right moves....

• 10.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 10, 2014 10:08 AM
      |   view attached

Hey CJ!

Have you read through the whole thread? It's weird man. Currently I have protection disabled as per Seths suggestion until I can figure this out. Take a gander at the attachment if you would, do you see any config issues?

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AP Wizard Summary.pdf   33 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2014 10:15 AM

I just read the thread.  I know you have protection turned off, but what are you trying to do?

• 12.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 10, 2014 10:18 AM

Trying to figure out why my AP's started attacking one another and causing an outage. I am trying to see if its a config issue or a bug/glitch somewhere... I also haven't had time to open a case with TAC yet as I have been bouncing between campuses this week.

• 13.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2014 10:22 AM

Is there any way you can put the IDS back on the default profiles?

• 14.  RE: Wireless IDS Attacking Authorized AP's

Posted Apr 10, 2014 10:26 AM

Well, I thought that is what I did yet when I re-enabled protection it happened again. Hence the WIDs config I posted. Are those settings the actual default? (not including my three custome rules at the top that are disabled) or do those not look correct?