Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Contributor II
Yosemite roaming issues

Anyone having issues with roaming between AP delays just on Yosemite with 802.1X?

I know it is in Beta, but we have confirmed this on two different V.3 machines, two different generations Macbook Pros. The delay on reconnect takes about 10 seconds before the machine finishes completing the new connection. 

Occasional Contributor II
Re: Yosemite roaming issues

I have seen this with my laptop, but I haven't put much though into it as it hasn't distrupted anything that I've been working on.

I'll have to add it to my list of things to investigate.

We have had several reports of it mainly with students running it.
T.J. Norton
Liberty University
Occasional Contributor II

I've had issues with the wireless on my iMac running Yosemite ( 10.10 beta 5 ) dropping and reconnecting frequently - sometimes not returning with an IP address.    

Contributor II

It appears to still be an issue even with the full release of 10.10. 

Guru Elite
[ Edited ]

It appears that this issue is with Yosemite itself. It's being seen across many wireless vendors. Every OS X release seems to add new wireless issues. Some (like this roaming issue) seem to reoccur every few releases.

You should try opening a case with Apple support.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

I wouldn't doubt that it could be an Apple issue, but I seem to recall seeing a similar issue on my mac when Aruba introduced client-match. I think we had to tweak our client match settings. If my memory is correct it was because our 802.1X is using WPA and not WPA2. I could be way of the mark here, but maybe not...

Frequent Contributor I

I found an issue with Yosemite on one of my ssids.  

I had max-tx-fail set to 25   (I beleive a pre client-match way of dealing with sticky clients)

the default is 0 (unlimited fails)

returning max-tx-fail to 0 - appears to have resolved the issue.    At least for my macbook that I was forcing into the problem state.   I only just made this change today and await feedback from the users.....

.... so ..... yeah....

Please see if this is pertinent to your problem ssids and test and report back as well.

Contributor II

I have reports from a student on Yosemite that with his MacBook when he gets back to his room it can take 20 minutes to get back on the .1x network.  He also happens to have an AP in his room.  We looked at the laptop and did the normal checking/tweaking (network priority, forget the guest network, disable aggressive roaming, etc...) but the problem persists.

We're running 6.4.2.2.  I'm not sure if requiring 802.1x was just too much and/or if the expectation for wireless has skyrocked this year but these mac 'tweaks' for every OS version is really not helping.

Guru Elite
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: