Higher Education

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Regular Contributor I

mixing AP-224 and AP-225 within a building

Has anyone successfully mixed AP-225s and AP-224s within a building (or AP-214 and AP-215, etc.)? Is this advised? Would ARM adequately adjust for the differences in gain? I believe the external antennas for the AP-224 would be AIR-ANT-1B.

We have a new building coming online and I'm told it would be easier in some areas to wall-mount APs, and in other areas of the building to ceiling-mount. Using an "L" bracket to wall mount AP-225s was met with concerns over aesthetics.

Thanks in advance,

Re: mixing AP-224 and AP-225 within a building

We have mixed them with no issues.

When you provision an AP-224 (or any external antenna AP) you specify the antenna gains for 2.4 & 5 GHz.

Bruce Osborne - Wireless Engineer

All opinions written here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of my employer or Aruba Networks

Guru Elite

Yes absolutely. It would just require careful RF design/planning. 

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

ap-ant-1f & ap-ant-1b are very similar looking but have different gain you will have to use.  Just a heads up.

Regular Contributor I

Thanks for the replies. Good to know this is possible.

I realize one must specifiy the gain during provisioning as we actually have a number of AP-114s and 224s in the field. I was more wondering about min/max power levels and how these values translated to coverage as a function of that AP's antenna gain. Thinking about it more I'm thinking this is a non-issue as ARM adjusts rx/tx powervalues in relation to the environment.

Please note that the AP-ANT-1F is not indicated for use with any of the more recent AP products. It incorporates a filter that is not necessary with AP-2xx, AP-11x and other APs introduced in the last 24 months.

When in doubt refer to the ordering guides for recommended antenna assemblies

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: