Location Services

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

BL location beacon in 325 APs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted May 27, 2017 12:45 PM
    [Not sure I'm posting on right board...]

So we turned on the beacon on one of our 325s... but when I tried to identify it with an iOS beacon app (Proximity Events), I wasn't able to find the UUID. Would I find that somewhere within the Controller, or does a different software control the beacon functionality?
    #ArubaBeacons

• 2.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2017 05:55 AM
      |   view attached

Russell,

Check on the controller

#show ap debug ble-table ap-name <name> to display the beacons table

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Pavan

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Jun 06, 2017 11:26 AM

Pavan,

Apologize for asking an elementary question, but you would run that from Diagnostics/General/SSH Terminal, correct?

I'm clarifying because I don't believe my permission level allows shell access. (I get:

Note:
          Please refresh the page to re-connect
          Public key authentication is not supported
          For security purposes, the user needs to re-enter the password

Is there no other way to get the BLE UUID?

• 4.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:27 PM

Hi,

We need to have shell access to APs to run those command. I dont think we have anyother way to check the beacon table list.

Regards,

Pavan

• 5.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Jun 06, 2017 02:20 PM

OK, I'll see if I can have someone else run the command.

Let me ask you, Pavan, if I have the AP's BLE mode set to "beaconing" will I need to do anything else in order to pair a device with the beacon?

I keep reading about "the Meridian app" but not sure where that is accessed from.  

• 6.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2017 10:29 AM

Hi,

AP 325 is inbuilt beacon (which acts as indiviudal beacon) when configured with meridian details it start sending the beacon info to controller and to meridian cloud. If it is IAP then it will send data directly to meridian cloud.

AP325>Controller>Meridian Cloud

IAP30x >Meridian Cloud

If have you battery powered beacon and want to manage then you need USB power beacon plug in to APs.

We have meridian cloud (edit.meridianapps.com) where you could create iOS and Android apps that provide your visitors turn-by-turn directions, location and time-based push notifications, and other location-based services.

If you want to create account , please check with your Aruba accounts team, who could help you in getting account in meridian.

Regards,

Pavan

• 7.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Jun 07, 2017 01:13 PM

If you want to create account , please check with your Aruba accounts team, who could help you in getting account in meridian.

Pavan, does a Meridian account something that involves additional licensing fees?

• 8.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2017 06:06 AM

Hi,

We have different types of meridian subscriptions available, if you are looking for a trail I believe it will be valid for 3months (not sure exactly) and need to buy for full subscription.

Please check with your accounts team for more details.

Regards,

Pavan

• 9.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Jun 09, 2017 03:54 PM

I do not have the budget to pay for additional features. 

So, just want to clarify: even if I have ble op mode set to "beaconing," that alone will not turn the ble beacon on?

(I have identified the beacon UUID #.)

• 10.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2017 09:36 AM

Hi,

Could you let me know why you want to enable beacon if you are not using meridian?

Regards,

Pavan

• 11.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Jun 11, 2017 05:42 PM
    I would like to have a beacon to track my arrival/departure from certain locations.

sent from the phone

• 12.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2017 06:00 PM

the.sleeper,

The becon capability exists to send data to Meridian.  It cannot be used otherwise...

• 13.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Jul 17, 2017 05:25 PM

sleeper, you may want to look into the Aruba battery powered beacons.  They would allow your third party app to receive a basic, unmanaged beacon's signal.

Personally I thought the AP325's beacon would send out beacons even when not connected to Meridian, but I could be wrong - mine is connected to Meridian on the demo trial.

The Meridian management apps are all iOS apps from their play store, but you have to sign in to an active Meridian account to use the app.

• 14.  RE: BL location beacon in 325 APs

Posted Oct 07, 2017 10:50 PM

Detailed information about Aruba Beacons are also posted here: 

http://docs.meridianapps.com/category/385-aruba-beacons