Location Services

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Beacons and TAG

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Beacons and TAG

Posted Nov 15, 2017 02:28 PM

Hi everyone.
    I am confuse respec to a implementation of Aruba Tag (BLE).
    I know that i need Aps with BLE integrated for comunicating with aruba tag cloud, But Why I can´t integrate Aruba tag with normally aruba beacon?
    Y have this beacons propagate in a build and i don´t have ap/ble.
    Is there a way for use tag with beacon and sensor in a IAP architecture?
    without AP with BLE integrate

• 2.  RE: Beacons and TAG
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2017 08:20 AM

For asset tracking (Aruba Tags) you will need 'observers' that can hear your tag. Your tag is just transmitting, just like Aruba beacons. Both are not connected to the network.

In the case of beacons for wayfinding or proximity, the mobile phone with App is the observer. It hears the beacons and from that information can determine it's own location.

With tags, the observers are BLE enabled access-points, which can be both Instant or controller APs from the 3xx series with built-in BLE radio or 2xx series with a USB port and USB beacon that acts like BLE radio.

Because the AP is connected to the network, it can report the received signals from the tags and the Meridian cloud can correlate that to a location of the tag if it hears the tag on multiple APs.

So the reason you need APs is that you need devices that can receive BLE signals from the tags.

• 3.  RE: Beacons and TAG

Posted Nov 16, 2017 09:14 AM

Hi.
    Thanks for your answer. Therefore, for the Aruba tag you need APs / BLE or AP with USB beacons.

If I have normal beacons with Aruba sensor for connect them to the network, the aruba tags are useless and i cant do asset tracking

is correct?

Other thing , can the beacons convert in a aruba tag? is there some way for do that?

• 4.  RE: Beacons and TAG

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2017 11:25 AM

Aruba Sensor can be used as an observer as well; so the full story is AP with beacon or Aruba Sensor can be an observer for Asset tracking. I did not mention as those are not so widely spread. If you have those and enough to get 3 sensors/AP in the range of one tag (20-30m max between the observers), and placed correctly for asset tracking (outside walls) you can use those as well.

Beacons cannot be converted into tags or vice-versa. Tags are also designed to be mounted on movable objects.

• 5.  RE: Beacons and TAG

Posted Nov 24, 2017 02:32 PM

Thank you.

So I can deploy aruba assest tracking in a wireless plataform that is not aruba with aruba sensor.