Guest Blogger

Side Effects of an All-Wireless Network

During Aruba Airheads, I learned how Aruba intended to address the #GenMobile users that exist and are coming into the workforce. An all-wireless environment makes sense and is an obvious solution. Today most employees coming into the workforce have multiple mobile devices. When I later read articles regarding Aruba's announcement of an all wireless initiative, I learned that Aruba conducted a worldwide survey with over 5000 resondents. Of the many statistics referenced in these articles, there were a couple of statistics that stood out. Over half of the respondents are, in essence, willing to take a pay cut to work from home two to three days a week. Over forty percent of respondents also believe that they are more productive during non-business hours.
These statistics not only show that people require connectivity and access at all times, the findings show that people feel that they work better alone. The information above tells me that many people that their work environment is not conducive to getting things done. This in contrast to how many employers would like us to operate. Many companies believe that working in teams makes everyone more productive. More specifically, many companies believe that working together in a room makes everyone more productive. I understand that the survey sample only consisted of 5,000 respondents, but I believe that is enough for companies to take notice. Some companies have already recognized that people want to collaborate, not team-build, and have adopted a more effective to work. Other companies have either not recognized this shift or ignored it. But like so many changes in our culture, advances in technology may be the catalyst. For those in the community...

Has your employer/company adopted a mobile workforce strategy?
If so, do you take advantage of it?
Are you more productive?
How do you see as the evolution of #GenMobile and the all-wireless workplace?
MVP

Re: Side Effects of an All-Wireless Network

I've noticed a disparity between the opinions of folks at different levels in the organization over what is and is not more productive.

I'd like to see the demographic breakdown on the answers. I suspect that young "gen-mobile" folks think being mobile makes them more productive, and that "gen-stationary" folks think being all together in the office makes them more productive.

Some study measuring productivity and/or efficience would be nice to stand up next to the opinion poll.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: