Location Services

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Mar 16, 2014 11:10 PM

We're in the process of commissioning a new installation of AirWave 7.7.9 and are having fun with Visual RF.  
    We can successfully load floorplans and are currently placing the APs in the correct locations on those floorplans.  Not a job I want to do twice!

However... we have a situation where one of our (live, active) AP-135s fails to show up in the VisualRF list of deployed devices.

How do we get VisualRF to re-scan the ap-database and (hopefully) find the rest of our APs?

• 2.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2014 11:19 PM

Does the access point show up in Airwave outside of visualrf?

• 3.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Mar 16, 2014 11:31 PM

Yes indeed. 

I can extract reports from it, see the number of connected clients and suchlike. 

• 4.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2014 11:51 PM
    There is a button that allows you to hide access points that are already placed. Did you try toggling that? In addition, one of the properties of the access point is where it might be in visualrf (location). See if that property exists.

• 5.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Mar 17, 2014 02:19 AM

Yes, I've found it; the "Add Deployed Device" dialog has the option to Hide Devices already added to VisualRF.  This shows/hides the APs already laid out on floorplans; devices already laid out are marked as 'banned', available devices are marked as an AP650.  
    I've just re-provisioned this AP, rediscovered it with AirWave, (both successfully).  VisualRF continues to ignore this AP.

• 6.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 21, 2014 01:01 AM
    Eventually... There's nothing a good old reboot won't cure! (But we had to go to that extent.) Problem cleared.

• 7.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

MVP
    Posted Jun 23, 2017 02:09 PM

Has this issue ever been resolved? I'm having the same issue with a customer right now, but we are missing multiple APs that are UP and Active in AirWave. They are not hidden or mapped to other floor plans. We are currently running 8.2.3.1 and it's a brand new server.

• 8.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Jul 11, 2017 10:41 AM

Disabling and enabling Visual RF engine did the trick, running release 8.2.3.1 as well.

Kudos to VFabian!

• 9.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

MVP
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 11:28 AM
    Tried that method and did work on airwave with low number of devices, doesn't always work on airwave with high number 2000+ devices. Also have to stop start it seems like every time new devices come in. Is there a time period we should wait before checking? I think we waited about 10-15 mins.

Michael Haring | Senior Network Engineer
    Comm Solutions Company | www.commsolutions.com
    Email: mharing@commsolutions.com
    Mobile: 610-858-1484 | Work: 610-889-1288

[cid:storage_emulated_0__EmailTempImage_5_TempSignature_signature_Comm-Solutions-logo_png_1497369869790]

• 10.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Jul 26, 2017 11:27 AM

I have the same exact issue. Even if disabling and enabling  VisualRF won't fix it immediately. I still have to wait days for the newly added APs to come up on the virualRF list. I never tried rebooting Airwave but I don't think that is a fair solution that I have to reboot it every time I have to add an AP. Aruba HPe needs to fix this.

I have 8.2.3.1 version and around 1800 APs and counting.

• 11.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Aug 14, 2017 04:57 AM

Same here, Airwave 8.2.3.1

• 12.  RE: VisualRF does not see the full list of active access points

Posted Jan 17, 2019 08:12 PM

We had the same problem. We upgraded to version 8.2.6.1 on airwave and that seemed to do the trick. We still have to toggle the AMP service but that upgrade and the upgrade on our controllers helped. Controller version 8.3.0.4. The problem seems to be with VisualRF as the APs do show up in the list under APs/Devices.