Introduction : Occasionally it may be necessary to install Airwave using a USB drive rather than CD/DVD media. This article will explain how to create a USB installer for Airwave on Windows and OSX operating systems.
Configuration Steps :
You will need the following to create a USB installer:
- USB drive with 2GB or more capacity.
- Windows or OSX operating system with administrative privileges.
- Airwave ISO file for the version you want to make an installer for, available at support.arubanetworks.com.
Note: To install from a USB drive the hardware you are installing to must support booting from USB. This may be disabled by default in the BIOS of many servers. Ensure your server is capable of booting from USB and the feature is enabled.
1. Download the UNetbootin program available here: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Note: This is an open source freeway program that is not associated with Aruba Networks. We do not endorse or support this program. There are many similar programs available or this one can be compiled from source if you are concerned. There is no native method within Windows for creating a bootable USB drive from an ISO.
2. Run the program, select the drive, and select the ISO file.
3. Click Ok to begin writing the ISO file to the USB drive.
4. Click Exit to close the program.
5. Eject your USB drive and remove from your computer.
6. Your USB installer for Airwave has been created.
1. Open the terminal.
2. Convert the file from an ISO to IMG file using the hdiutil program.
Run the command: hdiutil convert-format UDRW -o <OUTPUTFILE>.img <AIRWAVEISO>.iso
mjlaptop:Desktop mjackson$ ls AMP-7.7.3-x86_64.iso
3. Determine which disk is the USB drive by using diskutil. Note the 16GB size in the output below.
Run the command: diskutil list
4. Unmount the USB drive using diskutil.
Run the command, replacing <N> with your USB disk number from the previous command: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk<N>
5. Write the newly created .img file from step 2 to the USB drive using the dd command.
Run the command: sudo dd if=<OUTPUTFILE>.img.dmg of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m
Run the command, replacing <N> with your USB drive disk number: diskutil eject /dev/disk<N>
7. Your USB installer for Airwave has been created.