SNMP Set Error

Aruba Employee

Q: I have devices that are Up in the AMP, but when I try to configure them, I get an error like: "Error (SNMP Set Error: Received commitFailed(14) error-status at error-index 1)". What can the problem be?

A: Usually you'd see this if AMP is monitoring the device with a read-only community string. This error indicates that we can't write changes to the device with the credential we're using.

Q: How can I troubleshoot it?

A: A good test would be to change something trivial, like the sysContact. I'll describe it below using s2w and s2s, which are AMP's built-in shortcuts for snmpwalk and snmpset with SNMP v2c.

First, verify that you can read the sysContact:

# s2w 10.51.3.199 private sysContact
SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING: joemontana

OK, so we can read that the sysContact is joemontana. Now we'll try to change it:

# s2s 10.51.3.199 private sysContact.0 s williemays
SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING: williemays

So that worked. I successfully changed the contact to williemays

If I tried to do that with a read-only string, I'd get an error:

# s2s 10.51.3.199 public sysContact.0 s sleepyfloyd
Error in packet.
Reason: noAccess
Failed object: SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0
Q: I have devices that are Up in the AMP, but when I try to configure them, I get an error like: "Error (SNMP Set Error: Received commitFailed(14) error-status at error-index 1)". What can the problem be?

A: Usually you'd see this if AMP is monitoring the device with a read-only community string. This error indicates that we can't write changes to the device with the credential we're using.

A: A good test would be to change something trivial, like the sysContact. I'll describe it below using s2w and s2s, which are AMP's built-in shortcuts for snmpwalk and snmpset with SNMP v2c.

OK, so we can read that the sysContact is joemontana. Now we'll try to change it:

Error in packet.

Error in packet.

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎06-09-2014 09:21 AM
Updated by:

Labels (2)
Contributors
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is this a frequent problem?

Request an official Aruba knowledge base article to be written by our experts.